Residence abroad

Year abroad SPLAS student photo

'The most beautiful shallow beach ever in La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico' Lazara, BA Linguistics and Spanish 

While studying with us you will spend a compulsory year or term abroad in one of many institutions across the Hispanic world. How and when you spend time abroad will depend on your course, so you must check your course information (using the link on the right) for specific detail.

The importance of spending time abroad cannot be overstated as you will gain a deeper knowledge and appreciation of your host country and make substantial linguistic progress. You'll be supported to prepare for your time abroad, maintain contact with the University during your time abroad, and when you return to Leeds we will help you transition back into University life. You'll also be able to support others in the School who are planning for time abroad.

University placements for the year abroad



University placements for the term abroad

Spain: Granada or León

Joint honours student Sally studied in Granada for her term abroad. Read her story here.

British Council assistantships in schools

      As a student in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies you can apply to spend a year working as a Language Assistant in a school abroad. These assistantships are arranged with the British Council(Language Assistantship only available for Spanish, not Portuguese language).

          Work placements

            You can take a work placement, other than the language assistant programme, abroad as part of the Year Abroad programme. The work placement can be paid or voluntary and assistance with finding and securing a placement can be found through the Careers Centre and the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies.

            Read more about residence abroad options on degrees offered by the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies