IMS Postgraduate Conference 2017 "The Medieval Mediterranean: Cultural, Religious, and Economic Exchanges"
This conference will be held on the 20th May, showcasing the cutting-edge work being done by postgraduates across Europe. Both postgraduate students and early career researchers are welcome to present
We are happy to announce the theme for the annual Institute for Medieval Studies (IMS) postgraduate conference, to be held at the University of Leeds on the 20th May 2017.
The theme for this conference is The medieval Mediterranean: cultural, religious and economic exchange.
We welcome papers from a variety of disciplines and methodological approaches (historical, literary, and linguistic) to the problem of the Mediterranean as a place of exchange at all levels. We invite a wide field of inquiry, as presented in the possible approaches below.
- Mediterranean trade routes
- The Mediterranean as a way East
- Art historical trends across the Mediterranean
- Mediterranean themes and presences in Northern European literature
- Linguistic influences across the Mediterranean
- Studies in a Mediterranean lingua franca
- Mediterranean approaches to gender studies in the Middle Ages
- The crusades: a Mediterranean phenomenon
- The Jewish diaspora across Mediterranean countries
- Muslim kingdoms and Christian dominions along the medieval Mediterranean coast
- Tolerance and intolerance in Mediterranean powers
- Piracy and shipping in the Mediterranean
The IMS postgraduate conference is an exciting opportunity to find out about the cutting-edge work being done by postgraduates across Europe, a chance to receive feedback on your current work by your peers, and a meeting and networking opportunity for the academics of tomorrow.
Keynote speakers will include Dr Alex Metcalfe (Lancaster University) and Dr Maroula Perisandi (University of Leeds).
Postgraduate students and early career researchers are welcome to present papers.
The deadline for applying is 18th March, and applicants need to send an email with a 200-word abstract and a short academic biography at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
For any more information about the conference please visit our website. Travel bursaries are available for participants.
This conference is organised in cooperation with the Leeds Humanities Research Institute (LHRI).