Residence abroad

What are my options?

View pages in this document
Idea cetl 2 520x198

You must check your subject information for details of when and how you will spend your residence abroad.

Arabic, Islamic and Middle Eastern StudiesEast Asian StudiesFrenchGermanItalian | Linguistics and Phonetics Russian and Slavonic StudiesSpanish, Portuguese and Latin American StudiesCoursefinder

British Council assistantship in a school

As a student in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies you can apply to spend a year working as a language assistant in a school abroad. The assistantships are arranged with the British Council and you can find out more about the opportunities, application process and much more on the British Council website.

University placement

You can spend your residence abroad studying at another university. Depending on your course, you will either spend a term at one of our partner universities or a full year. Studying abroad is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the language and culture that you are studying. Students on non-language courses, such as linguistics and phonetics, can also take advantage of studying abroad. 

Work placement

The work placement year (also known as the Erasmus+) is an increasingly sought after way of spending the year abroad and provides an opportunity for you to gain  work experience and to be exposed to different cultures and opportunities. Most of our students can choose the work placement year, however you must check your course information for exact details as some courses offer a study abroad option only. However, if this is the case you can take advantage of opportunities that arise throughout your studies including internships, work placements and even part-time work to gain valuable work experience skills. 

Find out more about how to get a placement and how we support you

Read the University Careers Centre Erasmus Work pages | Read what Erasmus work placement students say

Pages in this document

  1. Residence abroad
  2. What are my options?
  3. Subject-specific information
  4. Work placements: further information