Please use the following link to view the courses we offer.
IMPORTANT: Please be aware that the Taught Postgraduate Admissions Office is significantly busier than usual, meaning that that application processing times are expected to be greater than six to eight weeks. In order to reduce the amount of time taken to process and assess your application it is important that you upload all supporting documentation when submitting your application.
For entry to taught programmes in the School of Languages, Cultures & Societies we require:
Typically a good 2:1 or above undergraduate Honours degree (or equivalent). Candidates with other relevant experience/qualifications may be considered.
If English is not your native language, evidence of English language qualifications is required. Please see individual programme pages for details on English language requirements. Please note that the following programmes require you to upload evidence of having met the English language requirements at the point of submitting your application and prior to any application deadlines;
- Applied Translation Studies
- Audiovisual Translation Studies
- Conference Interpreting and Translation Studies
- Business and Public Service Interpreting and Translation Studies
How to apply
Once you have decided which course you wish to apply for (see our Courses page), you will need to register for a University of Leeds Applicant Portal Account HERE. From here you will be able to begin your online application.
You must upload the following supporting documents before we will assess your application:
- Official degree transcripts and certificate(s). Please provide a full transcript if you have finished your degree or a partial transcript of you are still studying. If transcripts and certificates are not in English, you should also include an official translation of these documents.
- Two academic references. References should be either typed onto the Referee Report Form (stamped & signed) or presented on a sheet of official headed paper (with signature). All references must be provided in English.
- Documentary evidence of your English language proficiency (if English is not your native language) such as IELTS test. See individual programme descriptions for exact score requirements. For a full list of recognised qualifications, please contact email@example.com
- Personal Statement of approximately 500 words which a) explain why you want to study the programme, b) explains how the programme will benefit you in your future career, and c) explains why you are interested in the programme offered at Leeds in particular.
Other required documents
If applying for a programme where you will study Specialised Translation modules, please include:
- Translation Tests. You must submit a translation for each language combination you wish to study and in each direction you wish to study. Ensure that you sign and complete each declaration form to confirm that the translations are your own work. You may use dictionaries to help you with your translation.
If English is not your native language and you are new to studying in the UK higher education system, you may like to consider taking a pre-sessional course with our Language Centre during the summer before starting your MA programme.
When to apply
Courses commencing September 2017
All supporting documentation must be uploaded prior to any application deadlines:
Interpreting programmes with Chinese language (MA Conference Interpreting and Translation Studies (2 Language and Bi-directional)/ PGDip Conference Interpreting (2 Language and Bi-directional): deadline of 31st March 2017 for new applications.
Programmes involving Specialised Translation modules: We recommend that you submit your application by 30th April 2017, although we will consider applications received after this point, providing that there are still places available.
Standard Course Deadline: 28th August 2017 (International applicants) OR 4th September 2017 (Home/EU applicants).
Courses commencing September 2018
You may submit your application from 1st October 2017. If you wish to study modules in Specialised Translation you will need to wait until new Specialised Translation tests are available (see Supporting Documents) for the 2018/19 academic year, as we will not accept tests from the previous year.
Interpreting and translation deadlines to be confirmed.
Taught Postgraduate Admissions
G.42 School of Languages, Cultures & Societies
Michael Sadler Building
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
t: +44 (0)113 343 0233 or +44 (0)113 343 3234
Pages in this document
- Admissions (Taught Postgraduate)
- Translation Tests 2017/18
- Translation Tests 2018/19
- MA Conference Interpreting & Translation Studies / PGDip Conference Interpreting
- MA Applied Translation Studies/ MA Audiovisual Translation Studies/ PGDip Applied Translation
- MA Professional Language and Intercultural Studies