About

Centre for Translation Studies

View pages in this document

The Centre for Translation Studies (CTS) is a research intensive unit which strives to create, advance and disseminate knowledge; develop outstanding graduates and scholars and make a major impact on global society. CTS has distinguished itself as one of the top units in translation and interpreting for its world-leading research, high-quality professional training and close collaboration with the translation industry and International Organisations.

Teaching

The Centre offers a range of vocationally oriented MAs and Postgraduate Diplomas in translation, audiovisual translation and interpreting in a variety of European and non-European language combinations. These are all supported by state-of-the-art facilities and contributions from experienced practitioners.

Every year, the Centre for Translation Studies welcomes around 100 new taught postgraduate students and hosts the following renowned Masters programmes:

  • MA Applied Translation Studies (MAATS)
  • MA Conference Interpreting and Translation Studies (MACITS)
  • MA Audiovisual Translation Studies (MAAVTS)
  • MA Business and Public Service Interpreting and Translation Studies (MABPSITS

The Centre also offers Postgraduate Diplomas in Conference Interpreting (PGDCI), Applied Translation Studies (PGDATS) and Business and Public Service Interpreting (PGDBPSI)  

Our facilities reflect the state of the art. Students have access to two conference suites equipped with single and double interpreting booths, as well as two translation tools laboratories with 60 workstations in total running an extensive range of translation and subtitling software.

These vocational programmes all aim to enable students to develop into fully operational interpreters, translators and subtitlers, while acquiring a firm grounding in translation theory, as expected at MA level. The availability of up to 12 languages makes it possible to create realistic team-working scenarios for both translators and interpreters, reflecting the true demands of professional practice.

The teaching team demonstrates an excellent balance between academic members of staff and contracted practitioners. All of our programmes involve practising translators or subtitlers or interpreters working on the private market, for the EU, UN or other organisations.

Research

CTS comprises a small team of dedicated staff, conducting world-leading research and teaching in translation and interpreting studies. Our areas of research, knowledge transfer and teaching include methods for the collection, enrichment and analysis of monolingual and multilingual corpora; evaluation of machine translation, quality standards in translation and interpreting, computer-assisted translation, audiovisual translation and multilingual, multimodal analysis, literary translation and reception and sociology of translation.

In the most recent national review of research quality (REF 2014), the CTS case-study on computational Linguistics was commended by its excellence. In the previous review (RAE2008), the 80% of the research outputs were considered 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent', while the remaining 20% were 'internationally recognised'. This excellence is further evidenced by our impressive track record of research grant capture, totalling over £2.3m since 2005.

In its endeavour to have a positive impact in the translation and interpreting industry as well as global society, CTS frequently develops research collaborative projects with a range of public and private sector partners, including Google, Unilever and the European Union institutions. 

Pages in this document

  1. Centre for Translation Studies
  2. Facilities
  3. Interactive resources