PhD Study at the IDEA Centre
IDEA welcomes applications for PhD study. The Centre can provide a broad base of supervisory expertise in applied ethics, broadly construed, but has particular strengths in:
- Moral psychology (esp. desire, emotion, virtue, integrity, and rationality)
- Ancient ethics, especially Plato and Aristotle
- Biomedical & Health Care Ethics (incl. Mental health, Psychiatry)
- Contemporary moral theory
- Ethics in Business, Engineering, Finance, Media
- Professional ethics (esp. in engineering, financial services, media)
- Ethics of leadership, persuasion / rhetoric, and influence
- Political philosophy (esp. political obligation, justice)
- Other particular issues (e.g. climate change, consent, privacy, data ethics, AI/robotics, exploitation)
How to Apply
The Centre's postgraduate research applications are processed through the School of Philosophy, Religion, and History of Science (PRHS). Please have a look on their How to Apply webpage for more information.
Funding and Scholarships
We are pleased to announce a new joint studentship in the Ethics of Climate Services, with the School of Earth and Environment. The deadline for this studentship is Tuesday 8th May. For more information, please visit our news feature.
We are pleased to announce two new fully-funded PhD studentships in Applied Ethics to start in the academic year 2018-2019. The official deadline for this studentship is Friday 9th March, however we are accepting applications until Monday 9th April. For more information, please visit our PhD Studentship webpage.
PhD applicants can find information regarding other funding and scholarships on the University of Leeds Philosophy, Religion and History of Science Scholarship webpage.