Research at postgraduate level can be
- an MA by Research: a 1-year (full time) or 2-year (part time) programme of supervised research into a subject of your choice, supported by research training
- a PhD: a 3-year (full time) or longer (part time) programme of supervised and supported research leading to a doctorate
The entry requirement for MA by Research is a BA at 2:1 or equivalent. PhD candidates must already hold or be studying for an MA or equivalent.
How to apply
Before a formal application can be made, we normally require a CV and a research proposal. In some cases, however (for example, where you have already identified a specific member of staff whom you wish to supervise your research), you may first make an informal enquiry to the member of staff concerned. But, in all cases, a formal research proposal must be submitted before a decision about the application can be made.Following the submission of your research proposal and an expression of interest from a potential supervisor within the School, you are required to supply the following:
- A completed application form for research postgraduate study
- Evidence of your past and current studies: copies of degree certificates (if already awarded) and transcripts of your academic record
- Two academic references
- If English is not your first language, evidence of an English language qualification. The required scores are: IELTS 6.5 overall, with not less than 6.0 in any component; TOEFL (iBT) 92 with not less than 21 in Listening and Reading, 22 in Writing and 23 in Speaking.
If English is not your native language and you are new to studying in the UK higher education system, you may like to consider taking a pre-sessional course in the Language Centre during the summer before starting your MA programme.
Research Postgraduate Officer
School of Languages, Cultures and Societies
Michael Sadler Building
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
t: +44 (0)113 3437844
f: +44 (0)113 3430165