Residence abroad

Acrobat at Sacre Couer, Paris

'I often went to watch the sun set with my housemates at Sacre Coeur and at weekends 'kick ups man' could always be found wowing the crowds with his incredible acrobatic skills.'  Street performer at Sacre Coeur, Paris. Photograph taken by Frederick Searle: French & Politics.

Zoom in and click on a circle to discover where French at Leeds students can go for their year abroad.

The Residence Abroad component of the undergraduate degree is spent in a French-speaking country and provides an unforgettable experience for students. It is undertaken in the first place to improve foreign language proficiency, but in most cases it also brings other important benefits in terms of academic progress, personal development and employability. Recent research findings have confirmed both the high value most returning students place on the year abroad experience, and the employment value of the skills acquired through residence abroad, both in obtaining first and subsequent jobs and in daily work.  

There are several different options open to students for the Year/Term abroad programme:

Study placements for the Year Abroad

France: Universités de Montpellier 3 Paul Valéry; Lille 3 Charles de Gaulle; Lyon 3 Jean Moulin; Bordeaux 3 Michel de Montaigne; Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Pau; Paris 8 Vincennes-Saint-Denis; Clermont-Ferrand Blaise Pascal

Canada: Universités de Montréal; Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières

Fourth year student Hannah Stott spent her year abroad studying at Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières. Read her story here.

Study placements for the Term Abroad

Université de Bourgogne (Dijon); Université Catholique de Lille; Alliance Française de Bordeaux

Another increasingly popular Term Abroad option is for our students to secure a work placement in a French company for a minimum of 12 weeks under the auspices of the Erasmus Work programme, which includes some EU funding.

2nd year French and Italian student Lois Haines is about to start her term abroad in Dijon. Read her story here.

Other Year Abroad options include:

Assistantships in schools

These placements involve teaching English oral skills in French primary or secondary schools for a maximum of 12 hours a week. The scheme is organised by the British Council.  Students can apply to teach in metropolitan France or in the French Caribbean (Départements et Territoires d’Outre-Mer or DOM-TOM, France’s overseas territories). These placements will receive a small salary, as well as Erasmus Work funding.

A small number of posts are also available in Belgium and Canada.

Seb CadorSebastien Cador, BA French, spent his residence abroad working as a language assistant for the British Council. Read his story here.



Work placements

As part of the residence abroad programme, you can also take a work placement, other than the language assistantship scheme. The work placement can be paid or voluntary but as long as your placement is in France, you will be eligible for the Erasmus Work funding.

The Work Placements Coordinator in French and the Work Placements Officer for the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies, as well as the University’s Careers Centre will provide support with finding and securing a placement and applying for the Erasmus Work grant. Some of the companies that regularly employ our Year Abroad students include: Groupe Express-Roularta, Madame Vacances, EBA Clearing, Fleishman-Hillard in France. A small number of students have secured a work placement in French-speaking Africa.

Final year student Natalie spent her year abroad working for a French publishing company. Read her story here.

Read more about residence abroad options on degrees offered by the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies