Residence abroad

Year abroad SPLAS student photo

'The most beautiful shallow beach ever in the small yet touristy area of La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico'  Lazara, BA Linguistics and Spanish (Year Abroad in Mexico with the British Council)

While studying with us you will have the exciting opportunity to spend a year or term abroad, in one of many institutions across the Hispanic world. There are several different options open to students:

University placements for the year abroad 

BA Portuguese and Spanish student Natalie made a short video about her time in Alcalá de Henares. Watch it on YouTube . Please note the University is not responsible for external content.

University placements for the term abroad

smlc study abroad

Sally studied in Granada for her term abroad as part of her Joint Honours course. Read her story here.

British Council assistantships in schools

As a student in the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies you can apply to spend a year working as a language assistant in a school abroad. These assistantships are arranged with the British Council.  

Work placements

You can take a work placement, other than the language assistant programme, abroad as part of the residence abroad programme. The work placement can be paid or voluntary and assistance with finding and securing a placement can be found through the Careers Centre and the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies.

Read more about residence abroad options on degrees offered by the School of Languages, Cultures and Societies