Centre Events and Visitors
Mangoletsi Lecture Series 2017
Professor Mohan Matthen (Toronto) 'Why We Enjoy Art'
May 10, 11, 16 and 17
White Rose Aesthetics Forum
James Harold (Mount Holyoke) and others
Upcoming Research Seminars 2016-17
Talks take place in Botany House 1.03. Unless otherwise noted, they will run from 15:00-17:00. All are welcome!
Oct 5 Julian Dodd (Manchester) 'What is 4'33"?' (@15:30)
Oct 19 Matthew Kieran (Leeds) 'Vanity, Narcissism and Creative Ambition.
Oct 26 Robin Le Poivedin (Leeds) 'An aesthetics of stereoscopy?'
Feb 1 Karen Simecek (Warwick) 'Performance poetry and shared emotions'
Feb 8 Tasia Scrutton (Leeds) 'Beauty experiences in depression recovery accounts' (@15:30)
Feb 15 Adriana Clavel (Visiting Fellow, Leeds) 'Sugar and spice, and everything nice. What rough heroines can tell us about imaginative resistance.'
March 8 Anne Eaton (UIC) 'Pictorial Rhetoric and Persuasion'
Oct 14 Sheila Lintott (Bucknell): "Ethics of Stand Up: Intention,
Uptake, and Opportunism"
Nov 4 Eileen John (Warwick): "J. M. Coetzee: Ethics, Reasons and Eros"
Dec 9 Heather Logue (Leeds): "The Epistemology of Aesthetic Properties"
Jan 14 Jason Leddington (Bucknell): "The Experience of Magic" (1:00 - 3:00 p.m.)
Feb 17 Cain Todd (Lancaster): "Aesthetic and Epistemic Feelings"
Feb 24 Jamie Dow (Leeds): "Aristotle and the Paradox of Fiction" (4:00-5:30)
March 9 Paul Taylor (Penn State): tbc
April 20 Berys Gaut (St Andrews): "The Value of Creativity" (In Baines Wing G.37)
All seminars are held in G06 Gillinson Room, Michael Sadler Arts Building 3 5 p.m. unless otherwise stated.
Conferences and Workshops Spring 2015
Conferences and Workshops Fall 2014
Sept. 5-6: Shaping the Trading Zone: Bringing Aesthetics and Philosophy of Science Together Speakers included Otavio Bueno (Miami), Catherine Elgin (Harvard), John Kulvicki (Dartmouth), Dean Rickles (Sydney) and Nola Semczyszyn (Franklin & Marshall).
Sept. 22: Experimental Aesthetics Early Career Workshop. Workshop Mentors were Catharine Abell (Manchester), Aaron Meskin (Leeds) and Christy Mag Uidhir (Houston).
Sept 23: Values and Concepts of Art Workshop. Speakers included Catharine Abell (Manchester), Florian Cova (Geneva), Shen-yi Liao (Leeds), Aaron Meskin (Leeds) and Christy Mag Uidhir (Houston).
Nov. 12: Artworks and Authenticity Workshop. Speakers were Gregory Currie (York) and George Newman (Yale)
- Nov. 19: Anna Bergqvist (Manchester Metropolitan)
- March 4: Louise Hanson (Cambridge)
- March 12: James Grant (Oxford)
- April 22: James Shelley (Auburn)
Recent Visiting Scholars
- Sept. 2014: Christy Mag Uidhir (Houston)
- April 2015: James Shelley (Auburn)
Other Recent Events and Visitors
- Seminar Speakers earlier in 2014 included Fabien Dorsch (Fribourg), Stephen Davies (Auckland) and Peter Kivy (Rutgers)
- Workshops earlier in 2014 included Fictions and Minds with Raymond Mar (York) and Stacie Friend (Heythrop), Puppetry and Theory of Mind with James R. Hamilton (Kansas State University) and Language of Aesthetics with Louise McNally (Universitat Pompeu Fabra) , Alexandra Plakias (University of Aberdeen) and Tim Sundell (University of Kentucky).
For full details on these and all our recent past events, seminars and visitors click here.