+44 (0)113 343 4757
Summary: Critical theory; psychoanalysis; human-animal studies; Shakespeare; translation.
My most consistent research interests gravitate around psychoanalysis and especially its vital intersections with the cultural field. My book Tragedy and Otherness (2009) examines the close historical and theoretical connections between Freud's interpretative appeal to the tragic drama of Sophocles and Shakespeare and his professed abandonment of the early theory of traumatic 'seduction. I have also published numerous articles and shorter texts treating particular aspects of psychoanalytic theory and/or engaging psychoanalysis critically in relation to Renaissance drama, contemporary cinema, television and opera.
The critical framework of my book on tragedy was strongly influenced by the work of the French psychoanalyst Jean Laplanche, and this is an interest I continue to develop. I am the co-editor of Seductions and Enigmas: Laplanche, Theory, Culture (2014), a volume dedicated to the implications of Laplanches thought for reading and interpretation. It collects papers by academics and clinicians which elaborate Laplanches method for the interpretation of Freud and explore how the metapsychological developments arising from the implementation of that method open up new horizons for the psychoanalytic reading of other oeuvres in the cultural domain.
Some of my most recent work has been focussed on the delimitations between human life and animal life within psychoanalytic thought. The book Im currently writing, The Freudian Animal, traces this problematic across the Freudian corpus, with close readings of his case histories, metapsychological texts and anthropological essays.
I am also interested in the theory and practice of translation. I have translated texts by the psychoanalysts Jacques André, Éric Toubiana and Jean Laplanche, including as co-translator Laplanches final book Freud and the Sexual (2011).
I am willing to consider supervising doctoral work related to any of the areas/topics mentioned above.
- Fletcher, J.; Ray, N. eds. (2014). Seductions and Enigmas: Laplanche, Theory, Culture, Lawrence and Wishart.
- Ray, N., ed. (2012). Interrogating The Shield, Syracuse University Press.
- Fletcher, J; House, J; Ray, N., trans. (2011). Freud and the Sexual: Essays 2000-2006, by Jean Laplanche, International Psychoanalytic Books.
- Ray, N. (2009). Tragedy and Otherness: Sophocles, Shakespeare, Psychoanalysis, Peter Lang.
- Ray, N. (2017). 'Infiel fidelidad: Sobre «Interpretar [con] Freud» y «Exigency and Going Astray» de Laplanche', Spanish translation by Deborah Golergant. Revista: Après-coup, nùmero 3, June 2017, Epistemología del psicoanálisis.
- Ray, N. (2016). 'Veritcale / Animale: Differenza di specie, teoria freudiana e il caso dell"uomo dei lupi"', Italian translation by Alessandra Colla, Animot. L'altra filosofia, 6, Psicoanimot.
- Ray, N. (2015). 'Jean Laplanches Masochism', Psychoanalytic Review, 102, 5, 719753.
- Ray, N. (2014). 'Interrogating the Human/Animal Relation in Freud's Civilization and its Discontents', Humanimalia, 6.1: 10-40.
- Ray, N. (2012). 'Seduction, Receptivity and the "Feminine" in Peter Greenaway's The Pillow Book', International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 93, 3: 517538. (Swedish translation 'Förförelse, mottaglighet och det "feminina", trans. Jim Jakobsen, Divan: Tidskrift för psykoanalys och kultur, 3/4, no. 50, 1333. German translation by Karsten Münch, in Internationale Psychoanalyse, vol. 8, July 2013 ).
- Ray, N. (2012). 'Psychoanalysis and The Animal: A Reading of the Metapsychology of Jean Laplanche', Journal for Critical Animal Studies, 10, 1: 4066. (Partial Spanish translation by Deborah Golergant in Alter: Revista de psicoanálisis, 7, June 2012).
- Ray, N. (2011). 'Translator's Preface' to The Laplanche Dossier, Sitegeist: A Journal of Psychoanalysis & Philosophy, 5: 712.
- Ray, N. (2010). 'Anthropo-Decentring: "Human" and "Animal" in the Work of Jean Laplanche', Sitegeist: A Journal of Psychoanalysis & Philosophy, 4: 2146.
- Ray, N. (2006). 'Translator's Introduction', Psychoanalysis, Culture and Society, 2, 11: 16470.
- Ray, N. (2003). 'Hamlet and Hamlet', Imaginaires, 9: 2135.
- Fletcher, J. and Ray, N. (2014). 'Seductions and Enigmas: Laplanche, Reading, Theory' in Fletcher and Ray eds. Seductions and Enigmas, Lawrence & Wishart, 14-52.
- Ray, N. (2014). 'Seduction, Receptivity and the "Feminine" in Peter Greenaway's The Pillow Book', in Fletcher and Ray eds. Seductions and Enigmas, Lawrence & Wishart, 296-325.
- Ray, N. (2013). 'Realities, Fictions and the Abandonment of Seduction: Rethinking Otherness in the Psychoanalytic Approach to Tragedy', in Psychoanalysis in Context, ed. Alvin Henry, Cambridge Scholars Press, 73-87.
- Ray, N. (2012). 'Exception and Complicity in The Shield', in Interrogating The Shield, ed. Nicholas Ray, Syracuse University Press, 166-185.
- Ray, N. (2012). 'Trees Falling', in Interrogating The Shield, ed. Nicholas Ray, Syracuse University Press, 1-10.
- Ray, N. (2007). '"Twas Mine, 'twas Helen's": Rings of Desire in All's Well that Ends Well', in New Critical Essays on All's Well that Ends Well, ed. Gary Waller, Routledge, 183-193.
- Ray, N. (2016). 'Psychoanalysis (2015)'. Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory, 24, 1, 294-316.
- Ray, N. trans (2015). Interview with Jean Laplanche, Psychoanalytic Review, 102, 5, 709718.
- Ray, N. (2015). 'Psychoanalysis (2014)', Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory, 23, 1, 373-393.
- Ray, N. trans. (2014). 'Primal Femininity', by Jacques André, in Ray and Fletcher eds. Seductions and Enigmas, Lawrence & Wishart, 107-117.
- Ray, N. trans. (2014). 'The Little Death of Sardanapalus: Femininity and Passivity in the Primal Scene', by Jacques André, in Ray and Fletcher eds. Seductions and Enigmas, Lawrence & Wishart, 266-295.
- Ray, N. trans. (2014). 'From Mastery to Vampirism: The Ides of March', By Éric Toubiana, in Ray and Fletcher eds. Seductions and Enigmas, Lawrence & Wishart, 176-208.
- Ray, N. trans. (2013). 'On the Psychoanalysis of Babies', by Jean Laplanche, The Higher Education Research Network in Psychoanalysis (THERIP).
- Ray, N. (2012). 'Forming new knots: Jean Laplanche 1924-2012', Radical Philosophy, July/Aug, 174: 5356. (Reprinted for The Higher Education Research and Information Network in Psychoanalysis (THERIP) at: http://www.therip.com).(Spanish translation, 'Formando nuevos nudos', trans. Deborah Golergant, Alter: Revista de psicoanálisis, 7, June 2012).
- Fletcher, J; Ray, N. (2012). 'Jean Laplanche Bibliography', The Higher Education Research and Information Network in Psychoanalysis (THERIP), at: therip.org.uk
- House, J; Ray, N., trans. (2011). The Laplanche Dossier, Sitegeist: A Journal of Psychoanalysis & Philosophy, 5: 753.
- Ray, N. (2008). 'Studies on Hysteria: Freud and Elektra', programme for Opera North's Elektra, Arts Council England.
- Ladmiral, V; Ray, N., trans. (2006). 'Interpreting (with) Freud', by Jean Laplanche, Psychoanalysis, Culture & Society, 2, 11: 17184. Reprinted in Ray and Fletcher eds. Seductions and Enigmas, Lawrence & Wishart, 55-70.
- Ladmiral, V; Ray, N., trans. (2006). 'Exigency and Going Astray', by Jean Laplanche, Psychoanalysis, Culture & Society, 2, 11: 1859. Reprinted in Ray and Fletcher eds. Seductions and Enigmas, Lawrence & Wishart, 71-76.
- Ray, N. (2002). Review of Philip Armstrong, Shakespeare in Psychoanalysis, Textual Practice, 16, 1: 11523.
- Ray, N. (various dates: 20082012). 'Incorporation', 'General Theory of Seduction', 'Jean Laplanche', 'Trauer und Melancholie', in The Literary Enyclopedia, ed. Robert Clark et al.
- March 2015, invited paper on 'Masochism and Excess in the General Theory of Seduction', Congress of the European Psychoanalytical Federation, Stockholm.
- November 2014, invited paper on 'Jean Laplanche and the Copernican Revolution', Reading and Interpretation Seminar, University of York, UK.
- May 2014. Co-organiser and roundtable participant, second Critical Life Workshop, Leeds University.
- February 2013. Co-organiser and roundtable participant, first Critical Life Workshop, Leeds University
- April 2011. Co-organiser, with Dr Sam Francis, of Working Through Psychoanalysis: Freud's Legacy in Art, Cinema, Literature & Popular Culture, an international conference at Leeds University, sponsored by the Wellcome Trust.
- September 2010, 'Exception and Complicity in FX's The Shield', Crime Across Cultures Conference, University of Leeds.
- December 2008, invited paper on the Elektra myth in literature, opera and psychoanalysis at 'Elektra: Vengeance and Desire', a study day organised by Opera North and CentreCATH.
- April 2008, invited lecture on Psychoanalysis and Hollywood Cinema, Institute of Communication Studies, University of Leeds.
- 2007-2008. Co-organiser, with Prof. Griselda Pollock and Dr Anna Johnson of the 2007/8 CentreCATH Research Salon on Psychoanalysis & Aesthetics.
- March 2006, research paper on 'Tragedy and Otherness' at the Psychoanalysis & Literature conference, UC Berkeley
- Renaissance Literature (Level 2)
- Shakespeare (Level 3)
- Fictions of the End: Apocalypse and After (Level 3)
- Invested Objects: Fetishism in Culture and Theory (Level 3)
- Reading (with) Psychoanalysis