+44 (0)113 34 33183
Summary: Professor of Social History
Location: Michael Sadler Building, 3.09
Teaching Commitments: HIST1055 Historiography & Historical Skills; HIST2121 Fraternity, Skill & the Politics of Labour, 1660-1870; HIST3300 Chartism; HIST3470 Memories
I studied History at the universities of York (BA, 1978) and Sussex (MA, 1979; DPhil, 1984). I joined the University of Leeds in 1982, working at an adult education centre the University ran in Middlesbrough. In 1994 I transferred to the Leeds campus, teaching History in the School of Continuing Education (where, among other things, I was the Chair, 2002-2005).
I joined the School of History in 2005. I am currently Director of the BA History and Joint Honours History programmes.
My research interests are varied but centre on British popular culture and politics, primarily in the nineteenth century. For further details click on Research in the menu to the left.
- Past Chair of the Social History Society
- Vice-President of the Society for the Study of Labour History
- History Editor of the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal
Member of the Editorial Board of Cultural & Social History
Chair, Northern History Management Committee
- Former Editor of Labour History Review
- Former Honorary Editor for the Cleveland & Teesside Local History Society
- I am also the archivist for the York Musical Society, one of the oldest choral societies in England
I am a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, and also of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) and the Higher Education Academy.