+44 (0) 113 343 3383
Summary: Philosophy of Science; Philosophy of Physics; Metaphysics of Science; Philosophy of Mathematics.
Juha has been Lecturer at Leeds since 2007. He mainly works in general philosophy of science, with particular interest in: scientific realism; scientific and mathematical explanation; the nature of scientific theories and models.
See Juha's PERSONAL PAGE for papers and further information.
- General Philosophy of Science
- Philosophy of Physics
- Metaphysics of Science
- Philosophy of Mathematics
I am currently Principal Investigator for:
- Scientific Realism and the Quantum (2015-18, AHRC major research grant).
- Emergence and Laws of Nature (2014-15, Templeton Trust Fellowship)
- 'On the "Indispensable Explanatory Role" of Mathematics', Mind (forthcoming).
- 'Inference to the best explanation in science and metaphysics', Metaphysics and Philosophy of Science, M. Slater and Z. Yudell (eds), Oxford University Press (forthcoming).
- 'Inconsistency and realism', Synthese, 191, 2941-2955, 2014.
- 'Reassessing Woodward's account of explanation: regularities, counterfactuals, and non-causal explanations', (with M. Pexton), Philosophy of Science (Forthcoming)
- 'Mathematics and Program Explanations', Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 90, 579-84, 2012.
- 'Scientic Realism and Historical Evidence: Shortcomings of the Current State of Debate', EPSA Epistemology and Methodology of Science, Springer, 2012.
- The Continuum Companion to the Philosophy of Science (co-edited with S. French), Continuum Publishing, 2011.
- 'Idealized models as inferentially veridical representations', Models, Simulations, and Representations,
C. Imbert & P. Humphreys (eds), Routledge, 2011.
- 'The enhanced indispensability argument: representational vs. explanatory role of mathematics in science', British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 62, 143-154, 2011.
- 'Miraculous Success: Inconsistency and Untruth in Kirchhoff's Diffraction Theory', (with P. Vickers) The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 62, 2946, 2011.
- 'Form vs. Content-driven Arguments for Realism', New Waves in Philosophy of Science, Palgrave, P.D. Magnus and J. Busch (eds), Palgrave Macmillan, 828, 2009.
- 'Living in Harmony: Nominalism and the Explanationist Argument for Realism', International Studies in the Philosophy of Science 21, 19-33, 2007.
- Reconsidering the Fresnel-Maxwell case study', Studies in History and Philosophy of Science 36, 509-38, 2005.
- 'Ramseyfication and Theoretical Content', (with J. Melia) The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 57, 561-85, 2006.
I am especially keen to supervise research students working in the following areas:
- Scientific realism/anti-realism
- Scientific and mathematical explanation
- Metaphysics of science (laws of nature, causation, reduction)
- Issues connected to the role of mathematics and models in science
- Selected issues in philosophy of physics
- Jordan Bartol, 'Philosophical perspectives on proteins' (2012- ; co-supervised with Greg Radick)
- Vasiliki Nassiopoulou, 'Supervenience and the ontology of spacetime' (2010-11; co-supervised with Steven French).
- Dave Race, 'Applicability of mathematics' (2010-14 ; co-supervised with Steven French).
- Mark Pexton, 'Non-causal explanation in science' (2009-13).