0113 343 3282
Summary: Philosophy of Logic and Language; Metaphysics; Formal epistemology.
- Philosophy of logic and language
- Formal Epistemology
I am currently Principal Investigator for:
- The Nature of Representation (2012-17, ERC starting research grant).
Recent externally funded research projects include:
- Metaphysical Indeterminacy (2009-13, AHRC major research grant).
- The cognitive role of Indeterminacy (2009-11, British Academy Research Development Award).
- 'Non-classical minds and indeterminate survival', Philosophical Review (forthcoming)
- 'Decision making under indeterminacy', Philosopher's Imprint (2014)
- 'Counterfactual triviality', Philosophy and Phenomenological Research (2012).
- 'Fundamental and derivative truths', Mind (2010).
- 'Is supervaluational consequence logically revisionary?', Journal of Philosophy (2008).
- 'Eligibility and Inscrutability', Philosophical Review (2007).
For more, see Robbie's personal webpage
I am currently particularly interested in supervising projects in the following two areas:
- The nature of representation: the metaphysics, epistemology and explanatory role of mental and linguistic content.
- Living in a non-classical world: epistemology and practical reasoning interacting with indeterminacy and nonclassical logic.
But I'm also willing to supervise in any of my areas of research interest. Please do drop me a line if you want to discuss potential PhD projects, for example in:
- Conditionals: the logic, semantics and pragmatics of indicative and counterfactual conditionals.
- Indeterminacy and vagueness.
- Philosophy of mathematics
- Probability: subjective and objective.
- Personal identity
- Logic: classical and non-classical; metaphysics, epistemology and normativity.
- Ontological commitment: the relation between metaphysics and language.
- Metasemantics: the foundations of reference and representation.
- Stephan Kraemer. PhD 2011. "Second-Order Quantification and Ontological Commitment". (final year only). (Currently post-doctoral research associate, University of Hamburg. This thesis won the Wolfgang-Stegmüller-Preis)
- Mirja Holst. PhD 2012. "Ordering semantics for incomplete descriptions". (2012: DAAD award at the University of Hamburg. Currently research associate at the University of Hamburg.)
- Alex Oldemeier. PhD 2012. "The epistemology of abstraction" (AHRC award 2009-11. Jacobsen fellow 2011-12).
- Thomas Brouwer. PhD 2013. "The metaphysical commitments of logic" (Jacobsen fellow 2012-13).
- Laura Crosilla. 2012-- PhD on the philosophy of constructive mathematics.
- Nick Tasker. 2013-- PhD on the nature of representation.
- Will Gamester 2013-- PhD on the nature of representation.