Academic & Teaching staff
+44 (0)113 343 3641
Dr Ward did his original research in Kenya, examining the problems of Protestant Christian ecumenical cooperation in colonial Kenya.
He has continued to have a strong interest in East Africa, focusing on the history and spirituality of the East African Revival movement, church-state relations in Uganda, and the religious basis of conflict in Uganda.
He has written on issues of sexuality in an African context, particularly in the light of the present Anglican crisis over homosexuality and he recently completed a book for Cambridge University Press, A History of the World Anglican Communion.
His next major project is to write a History of the Ruanda Mission, an Anglican missionary society working in Rwanda, Burundi and Southern Uganda.
Born in Leeds, Kevin studied history at Edinburgh and at Trinity College, Cambridge. He spent twenty years working in East Africa, as a teacher and theological educator.
He is a member of the General Synod of the Church of England, representing the Northern Universities.
- Varieties of Religion in Modern African Society
- African Traditional Religion
- Violence, Civil Society and Religion in Uganda
- Race and Religion in Southern Africa: Apartheid and its Aftermath
- Religion, Theology and Development Issues.
Dr Ward is research postgraduate tutor.
- 2006 The World Anglican Communion: A History. Cambridge University Press. Manuscript with the publisher.
- 2004 'Homosexuality and the African Churches ' in Search: A Church of Ireland Journal, Autumn 2004, pp. 190-198.
- 2004 'Eating and Sharing: Church and State in Uganda ', in Journal of Anglican Studies, 3:1, pp.99-120
- 2004 'A Theology of Attention'. The CMS Tradition at the End of the Colonial Era in Africa: Max Warren & John V Taylor, in Frieder Ludwig & Afe Adogame, European Traditions in the Study of Religion in Africa, Harrassowitz: Wiesbaden, pp.227-236.
- 2002 'Same-sex relations in Africa and the debate on homosexuality in East African Anglicanism', Volume 84. Number 1 of the Anglican Theological Review, Evanston, Illinois , pp. 81-111.
- 2002 'African Traditional Religions': article in The Times World Religions: A History of Faith, London: Times Books ISBN 0 00 713140
- 2002 'Archbishop Janani Luwum: The Dilemmas of Loyalty, Opposition and Witness in Amin's Uganda', in David Maxwell with Ingrid Lawrie, Christianity and the African Imagination: essays in Honour of Adrian Hastings, Leiden : Brill, pp.199-224.
- 2001 'The armies of the Lord: Rebels and the State in Northern Uganda 1986-1999', in Religion and War in the 1990s: The Journal of Religion in Africa, Brill: Leiden, XXXI-2, 2001, pp. 187-221
2000, The Church Mission Society and World Christianity, 1799-1999 edited by Kevin Ward & Brian Stanley. ISBN 0 7007 1208 9