+44 (0)113 343 3541
Summary: Roman History and Archaeology; Iron Age to Roman Spain and Portugal; Identity, Cultural Change and Landscape Studies; Roman Historiography; Latin; Ancient Greek; Historical Receptions; Ancient Rowing
Location: Michael Sadler Building 1.49
Teaching Commitments: CLAS1400 Roman World; CLAS1910 Beginners Latin; CLAS2800 Evidence and Enquiry in Classics; CLAS2900 Ancient Empires; CLAS3200 Major Research Project; CLAS5500M Principles and Practices of Research in Classics; CLAS5700M Using the Past
Conferences and Public Engagement Talks
- 30th November 2017: 'Commemorating Life in Funerary Contexts in the Ancient Durius Valley'. Leeds Classics Research Seminar, University of Leeds.
- 19th June 2017: 'Boudicca and Numantia: Resisting Rome and its Legacy'. 8th Annual Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Conference, Department of Classics, University of Leeds: 'Cruelty and Compassion'.
- 18th February 2017: 'Politics of the Late Roman Republic', workshop for OCR Classical Civilisation A-Level INSET Day organised by the Classical Association, Manchester Metropolitan University.
- 27th October 2016: 'Boudicca and Numantia: Modern Symbols of National Resistance from the Ancient World', part of the "Classics in Our Lunchtimes" series, Leeds City Museum.
- 12th July 2016: 'Facets of Classics: Ancient and Modern Rowing' as part of the Facets of Classics workshop series for A-Level students of philosophy, history, languages and literature, who do not have the opportunity to study classics at school. University of Leeds.
- 20th June 2016: 'The Durius River Valley: a Cultural Boundary in the Ancient Iberian Peninsula?'. 7th Annual Interdisciplinary International Classics Postgraduate Conference, Department of Classics, University of Leeds: 'Borders and Boundaries'.
- 8th June 2016: '"What have the Romans ever done for us?" Exploring Local Identity, Culture Change and Landscape Relationships in Roman Spain.' University of Leeds Postgraduate Engagement Talk Series.
- 20th May 2016: 'Negotiating Individual Identities within the Community in Central Spain, 2nd century BC - 2nd century AD'. 13th Annual Postgraduate Forum Conference at the School of History, Classics and Archaeology, Newcastle University.
- 24th March 2016: 'Ancient and Modern Rowing', part of the "Classics in Our Lunchtimes" series, Leeds City Museum.
- 16th March 2016: 'Co-Producing "Place" and "Identity" in the Upper Durius Valley'. Theorising Place in (Roman) Archaeology session at the 26th Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference, Sapienza Università di Roma, 16th-19th March 2016.
- 4th June 2014: 'Numantia: A Roman Triumph over the Noble Savage?'. 5th Annual Interdisciplinary International Classics Postgraduate Conference, Department of Classics, University of Leeds: 'Conflict: Causes, Chaos, and Resolutions'.
- 10th April 2014: 'Francis Haverfield and Adolf Schulten'. Leeds Postgraduate Papers and Panel Discussion: 'Classical Scholarship in WWI' at the 'Classics and Classicists in the First World War' centenary conference, University of Leeds.
- 6th June 2012: 'Nero's Public Identity and the Military Demands of an Emperor'. 3rd Annual Interdisciplinary International Classics Postgraduate Conference, Department of Classics, University of Leeds: 'Me, Myself and I: Constructing and Reconstructing Identity'.