Summary: Contemporary Canadian/North American graphic fiction/comics; visual cultures; postcolonial ecocriticism and animal studies; transcultural/ism theories; environmental humanities
BA hons. (2003), University of Western Ontario at Huron University College; MA (2008), University of New Brunswick (SSHRC funded); Cambridge CELTA (2011), International House, Chiang Mai, Thailand
My current research, funded by the Bonamy Dobrée Scholarship (Leeds School of English) and SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada), and supervised by Professor Graham Huggan, examines how interrelations between animals, humans, and their material environments are constructed and depicted in contemporary and transcultural North American graphic fiction (mostly Canadian).
Engaging with the emerging field of comics studies and the ecocritical turn in postcolonial theory, especially the recent advances of zoocriticismthe study of animals, literature, and culturemy research explores multilayered intersections of animal, human, culture, place, and power relations. I situate my interdisciplinary literary and graphic narrative research in a zoocritical framework that seeks to illuminate and explore the representational and performative dynamics of animal-human and nature-culture constructs.
- "Alternative Paradoxes in Heartless: The Bound and Transcultural Catwoman in Nina Bunjevac's 'Bitter Tears of Zorka Petrovic.'" The Canadian Alternative: Cartoonists, Comics, and Graphic Novels from the (Great White) North. Ed. Dominick Grace and Eric Hoffman, UP of Mississippi, forthcoming 2017.
- "Resituating the Animal Comic: Environmentalist Aesthetics in Matt Dembicki's XOC: The Journey of a Great White." Animal Comics: Multispecies Storyworlds in Graphic Narratives. Ed. David Herman, Bloomsbury, forthcoming 2017.
- "Alternative Paradoxes in Heartless: Reading (Un-)Love in Nina Bunjevac's 'Bitter Tears of Zorka Petrovic.'" Comics Forum. Ed. Ian Hague, 27 May, 2014. Web 11 Feb. 2015.
- "Rohinton Mistry." The Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century Fiction. Gen. ed. Brian W. Shaffer. Vol 3: World Fiction. Ed. John Clement Ball. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- "Mayday, Fredericton, 2008-05-01." QWERTY 23, Winter 2009. Fredericton, Icehouse Press.
- "Wake Fuchsia," "Recess Rain." QWERTY 21, Spring 2007. Fredericton: Icehouse Press.
- "thunder tastes like petals of candy," "The problem with d e c o n s t r u c t i o n," "Kitty Kitty, Cat's Eyes." Grubstreet: This Word has Flown. Ed. Luke Maynard. London: Huron University College, 2002-2003.
- "Elevator Music on a Train," "Garden Party," "Curly Hair." Grubstreet: Standing Room Only. Ed. Michael Kuchma. London: Huron University College, 2001-2002.
University of Ulsan, Ulsan, South Korea, 2009-2011: Full-time Assistant Professor, Department of English Language and Literature
Dong-A University, Busan, South Korea, 2004-2006: Full-time Lecturer, Department of English Language and Literature
- English Composition (2010) University of Ulsan
- English Speech (2010) University of Ulsan
- English Conversation I & II (2009 & 2010) University of Ulsan
- Business English (2009) University of Ulsan
- Presentation and Debate in English (2009) University of Ulsan
- Creative Writing in English (2005) Dong-A University
- Presentation in English (2004) Dong-A University
- English Conversation (2004 & 2005) Dong-A University
- Business English, MBA course (2010) University of Ulsan
- Teaching Conversational English, teacher training graduate course (2010) University of Ulsan
- Practical Classroom English, teacher training graduate course (2009) University of Ulsan
University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom, 2012-Present:
- Centre for Canadian Studies Postgraduate Representative (2013-Present)
- Member of the Environmental Humanities Research Group (2013-Present)
- Member of the Postcolonial Studies Research Group (2012-Present)
University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Canada, 2006-2008:
- Research Assistant, Department of English Language and Literature, Graduate Studies (2007-2008)
- Editorial Board, Fiddlehead (2007-2008)
- Editorial Board, QWERTY (2006-2007)
- School of English Graduate Student Representative (2006-2007)
Dong-A University, Busan, South Korea, 2004-2006:
- Part-time Editor, Department of Sociology (2005-2006)
- Literary Circle Coordinator, Writing Group (2005-2006)
Huron University College, UWO, London, Canada, 1999-2003:
- Generic Skills Assistant and Writing Tutor, Writing Proficiency Center (2002-2003)
- Research Assistant, Department of English Language and Literature (2001-2003)
International Cultural Youth Exchange (ICYE) in Honduras (2003): Project and grant in association with Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) and Huron College
Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute-CIDA Summer Programme in India (2001): Sustainable development research program and grant, accredited by Dalhousie University
- ASLE Association for the Study of Literature and Environment
- CACLALS Canadian Association for Commonwealth Literature and Language
- PSA Postcolonial Studies Association
- CSSC Canadian Society for the Study of Comics