Summary: Stylistics and linguistic criticism on literature; applied linguistics; teaching Chinese as a second language; Chinese literature and language of the Cultural Revolution
About Dr Yang Lan
Dr Yang is an expert in Chinese linguistics and literature. He has published on linguo-stylistics, on the dialects of Hubei and on the literature of the Cultural Revolution.
Key Publications and Activities
Books and Monographs
- Chinese Fiction of the Cultural Revolution. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 1998, 356 pp.
- (Principal writer) The Dialects of Hubei Province [Hubei fangyan]. Wuhan: Hubei People's Press [Hubei Renmin Chubanshe], 1996, 503 pp.
- A Study of Gong'an Dialect [Gong'an fangyan yanjiu]. Shanghai: The Great Chinese Dictionary Press [Hanyu Da Cidian Chubanshe], 1992, 189 pp.
- (et al.) The Concise Encyclopaedia of China (Linguistics) [Zhonghua xiao baikequanshu (Yuyan wenzi)]. Chengdu: Sichuan Dictionary Press and Sichuan Education Press [Sichuan Cishu Chubanshe and Sichuan Jiaoyu Chubanshe], 1994, 320 pp.
- (et al.) A Dictionary for Young Readers: Reviews on Famous Books [Qingnian dushu cidian]. Wuhan: Hubei People's Press [Hubei Renmin Chubanshe], 1993, 660 pp.
Journal Articles and Papers
- "Memory and Revisionism: The Cultural Revolution on the Internet". In Ingo Cornils and Sarah Waters (eds.), Memories of 1968: International Perspectives (Oxford: Peter Lang AG, 2010), pp. 249-279.
- "'Bad Language' in Contemporary Chinese Literature". In the Board of Lexicological Theory and Application (ed.), Lexicological Theory and Application (Beijing: Shangwu Yinshuguan, 2006), Vol. 3, pp. 122-161.
- "The Broad Prospects: Linguistics of Speech [Parole] versus Literary Criticism" [Guangkuode qianjing -- Yanyu yuyanxue yu wenxue piping]. In Li Yuming and Xiao Guozheng (eds.), The Study of Parole [Yanyu yu yanyuxue yanjiu] (Wuhan: Chongwen Shuju, 2005), pp. 227-247.
- "Cultural Restoration versus Cultural Revolution: A Traditional Cultural Perspective on Hao Ran's The Golden Road". China Information: A Quarterly Journal on Contemporary China Studies, Vol. XVIII, No. 3 (2004), pp. 463-488.
- "A Forbidden Zone: Love in Official Chinese Fiction of the Cultural Revolution". In A. K. Ogloblin et al., From National Tradition to Globalizaion, from Realism to Post-Modernism: The Trends in Modern Chinese Literature (Saint Petersburg State University, 2004), pp. 122-147.
- "The Ideal Socialist Hero: Literary Conventions in Cultural Revolution Novels". In Woei Lien Chong (ed.), China's Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution: Master Narratives and Post-Mao Counternarratives (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2002), pp. 185-214.
- "The Language of Chinese Fiction of the Cultural Revolution: An Anti-dialectal Style". Copenhagen Journal of East Asian Studies (Denmark), Vol. 15, 2001, pp. 114-136.
- "The Depiction of the Hero in the Cultural Revolution Novel". China Information: A Quarterly Journal on Contemporary China Studies (Holland), Vol. XII, No. 4 (Spring, 1998), pp. 68-95.
- "Ideological Style in the Language of the PRC Novels of the Cultural Revolution". Modern Chinese Literature (America), Vol. 10, 1998, pp. 77-101.
- "Confucian Philosophy in the Literature of the Cultural Revolution". Leeds East Asia Papers (England), Vol. 59, 1998, pp. 1-23.
- "The 'Three Prominences' in the Novels of the Cultural Revolution". The Bulletin of the British Association for Chinese Studies (Britain), 1997, pp. 10-19.
- "The Language of Chinese Fiction of the Cultural Revolution: A Style of Anti-vulgarity". Leeds East Asia Papers (England), Vol. 52, 1997, pp. 1-25.
- "'Socialist Realism' v 'Revolutionary Realism plus Revolutionary Romanticism'". In Hilary Chung (et al., eds.), In the Party Spirit: Socialist Realism and Literary Practice in the Soviet Union, East Germany and China (Amsterdam: Rodopi, 1996), pp. 88-105.
- "Military Style in the Language of the PRC Novels of the Cultural Revolution". Macrolinguistics (England), No. 6-7, 1996, pp. 113-124.
- "Dialects" ["Fangyan"]. In the Committee of The Annals of Gong'an County, The Annals of Gong'an County [Gong'an xianzhi], Shanghai: The Great Chinese Dictionary Press [Hanyu Da Cidian Chubanshe], 1990, pp. 541-555.
- "On the Relationship between Emotional Colouring and Notional Meaning of Words" ["Shi lun ci de biaoqing secai yu lixing yiyi de guanxi"]. Chinese Studies [Yuyan yanjiu], No. 1, 1989, pp. 34-38.
- "On the Meaning of 'BB' in 'ABB'" ["Shi tan 'ABB' zhong 'BB' de yiyi"]. Journal of Xianning Normal College [Xianning Shi-zhuan xuebao], No. 1, 1988, pp. 66-70.
- "Morphemes and the Teaching of Morphemes" ["Yusu he yusu jiaoxue"]. In Zhang Gonggui (ed.), Exposition of the Chinese Grammar System for School Teaching [Zhongxue jiaoxue yufa xitong chanyao], Beijing: The Press of Language and Literature [Yuwen Chubanshe], 1986, pp. 47-55.
- "The Suffix 'zi' of Gong'an Dialect" ["Gong'an fangyan de 'zi' zhui"]. Modern Standard Chinese [Putonghua], No. 4, 1986, pp. 23-27.
- Over twenty items on Chinese linguistics and literature. In Edward L. Davis (ed.), Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture. London: Routledge, 2004.
- (co-ed.) Macrolinguistics. Vols. 1-3 (1991-1993).
- (co-ed.) Best Collegiate Prose & Essays. Beijing: The International Broadcast Press of China [Zhongguo Guoji Guangbo Chubanshe], 1993, 261 pp.
Expert Consultant on Chinese linguistics for the International Chinese Linguistics Institute at Jinan University, Guangzhou.
- EAST2012 Chinese 2A: Grammar and Reading (Syntax and Stylistics, convenor)
- EAST3130 Pre-Modern Chinese Fiction and Drama (convenor)
- EAST5910M Chinese for Research 1
- MODL5222M Specialised English-Chinese Translation (text of literature and science and technology)
- MODL5302M Extended Translation (English-Chinese)
Yang Lan is currently supervising PhD projects in applied linguistics (teaching Chinese as a second language). He is also happy to supervise or co-supervise PhD study in other areas related to Chinese: Chinese linguistics (phonetics, lexicology, grammar, rhetoric, sociolinguistics and stylistics), contemporary Chinese literature and English-Chinese translation.