+44 (0)113 3432925
Summary: Contemporary Italian Literature and Culture, Literary Theory, Literature and Ethics, Literature and the Mind.
Location: Michael Sadler Building (Room 1.50)
Teaching Commitments: My teaching focuses on Italian language, literature and culture in its social and historical context. I also teach for LCS modules in World literatures and Intercultural Competence. My office hours are: Tue, 12:00-13:00; Thu, 13:00-14:00
I graduated in Italian literature from the University of Siena (2003), where I later completed a MA (2008) and a Doctorate (2009) in Italian literature and literary theory. In 2010 I was awarded a postdoctoral fellowship at the University for Foreigners of Siena. In 2012, I was appointed Lecturer in Italian at the University of Leeds. In 2016, I became Lecturer in Italian Culture.
2. Research interests
I am a specialist of post-Unification Italian literature and culture. My main research area is contemporary Italian literature, with a focus on literary theory (literature, morality, and emotions). I also work on the concept and history of the Made in Italy.
3. Current and forthcoming Research Projects
Currently, I am working on Italian family sagas and the Italian national identity. With a colleague from the LUBS, I am also working on the perception and consumption of the Made in Italy in the UK.
3. Selected publications
A. Published work (selected)
- Dipingere coi colori adatti. "I Malavoglia" e il romanzo moderno (Macerata: Quodlibet, 2012).
- "Narrativa e vita psichica", Allegoria, 60, 2009.
Book chapters and Journal articles
- "Made in Italy in Inghilterra: insegnamento e prospettive di ricerca", in D. Balicco (ed.), Made in Italy e cultura: indagine sull'identità italiana contemporanea (Palermo: Palumbo, 2016), pp. 162-77.
- "Il Gattopardo di Tomasi di Lampedusa come saga familiare: realismo modernista ed erosione della famiglia patriarcale", Allegoria, No. 71-72, 2015, pp. 24-66.
- "Putting the self into perspective: fiction and imagination in Giovanni Verga", The Italianist, Vo. 35, No. 3, October 2015, pp. 369-383.
- "Dal punto di vista degli altri. 'I Malavoglia' come romanzo moderno", in Pietro Cataldi (ed.), Per Romano Luperini (Palermo: Palumbo, 2010), pp. 193-217.
- "Narrativa e vita psichica", Allegoria, No. 60, 2009, pp. 7-12.
- "Istruzione e cultura nell'assedio del presente", Allegoria, No. 59, 2009, pp. 122-131.
- "Terrence Malick, 'La sottile linea rossa', 1998", Allegoria, No. 55, 2007, pp. 200-2009.
- "'Mastro-don Gesualdo'. La forma del tempo e il romanzo storico", Allegoria, No. 52-53, 2006, pp. 23-50.
B. Forthcoming publications (selected)
- "The liberal imagination of Giovanni Verga: literature and moral realism", The Italianist, Vol. 37, No. 3, October 2017 [forthcoming]
Immaginare lItalia plurale: questione meridionale e immaginario morale nel Verga verista, Annali della Fondazione Verga, 2017, Verga e noi: la critica, il canone, le nuove interpretazioni, ed by Pellini, P. et al. [forthcoming]
- "Affrontare la sorte morale: letteratura ed emozioni in Tutti i nostri ieri di Natalia Ginzburg", Moderna, No. 2, July-December 2016 [forthcoming]
4. Postgraduate Supervision
I am interested in supervising research projects on contemporary Italian literature (post-Unification), and literary theory (ethical turn, affective turn)
6. Undergraduate Teaching
- ITAL1040 Italy: Fascism to the Present
- ITAL1085 Skills and Issues in Italian Studies
- ITAL2016/17 Italian Language 2
- ITAL2020/21 Introduction to Dante
- ITAL2030/31 Italy: Regions, Identity, and Nation
- ITAL3010 Italian Language
- ITAL3090 Italian Dissertation
- ITAL3400 Made in Italy. Italian for Business
- MODL1150 Worlds of Literature (Cornerstone Module)
7. Postgraduate Teaching
- MODL5012 Skills and Issue in Intercultural Studies
8. Other Professional Activities
A. Editorial work
I am member of Allegoria's Editorial Board.
B. Event organization (recent events)
- The Made in Italy through Live Windows and Wines, talks by Giovanni Flore and Patrizia Baldini, 7 March 2016.
- Cristina Savettieri, Performing Manliness in Italian Great War Literature, 24 February 2016.