The Great Hall
The University of Leeds hold the graduation ceremonies within the Great Hall. This is a building of great importance and historic value for the University and is the reason why it is important for us to hold such exciting and memorable event in such surroundings.
History of the Great Hall
The Great Hall is built on a site of Beech Grove Hall Estate which was bought in 1879 by the Yorkshire College.
This was later demolished in 1884 for it to become the site of the Clothworkers buildings of the Baines Memorial Wing and the Great Hall. The buildings were designed by the late Architect Mr Alfred Waterhouse R.A in red pressed brick and had dressings of Bolton Wood stone in a Gothic Collegiate style.
The Gothic Style Hall incorporated the library and cost £22,000 to build raised partly by public appeal. It was originally used as the main University Library until the opening of the Brotherton Library in 1936. As well as being the location for the ceremonial occasions, it was also used for meetings, exams and public lectures.
The Great Hall was opened in October 1894 by the Duke and Duchess of York. The panorama seen from the door of the Great Hall takes in nearly 150 years of university-related building. From the redbrick of the early Clothworkers buildings to the Portland stone of the Michael Sadler arts building to the steel and glass of the Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building. Leeds is set to take its place as one of the largest and most diverse Universities in the UK.
These photos were provided by the University of Leeds Archives