“When I’m doing my research and reading I come into the library, then I’m not distracted. I find the environment pleasant to work in especially on the upper levels.”
Were continually investing in the best facilities to support you in your studies, from brand new laboratories and lecture theatres to our impressive libraries.
The University Library is one of the major academic research libraries in the UK and its specialist collections, gathered over more than 100 years, attract students and academics from around the world. We are continually adding to its rich and extensive print and online resources, including some of the UKs most outstanding collections of rare books and manuscripts.
Our Library offers a variety of study environments the Brotherton, the Edward Boyle, the Laidlaw and the Health Sciences libraries based in four buildings on campus; each houses a different subject-based collection. Almost 4,000 study spaces are available, from silent individual study to vibrant group work areas. All our libraries have extensive computer facilities and are wireless enabled throughout for mobile devices.
Search@Library provides easy access to online resources including 35,000 e-journals and over 500,000 e-books. You can reserve and renew your books through your library record. If an e-book isnt available, the library digitises key reading for modules through the virtual learning environment.
Computers and IT
As a postgraduate at Leeds, youll benefit from having access to:
- extensive computer facilities and wi-fi coverage across campus on the international Eduroam network
- 1,700 centrally provided networked PCs you can find them in dedicated computer clusters as well as in most of our cafes. Some are open 24/7, ensuring youll be able to study at a time that suits you
- Office 365 email service, which includes large quotas and free downloadable Office Professional Plus for students.
Virtual Learning Environment
We have invested over £2m in a new state-of-the-art lecture capture and multimedia management system.
Youll be able to access video and audio recordings of many of your lectures and other activities through the Universitys Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). Through the VLE, youll also be able to view announcements, get module information, participate in discussion boards and check your grades.
The Language Centre offers resources for independent language study, modules in a range of languages, and English language and academic study skills support for international students through in-sessional classes and pre-sessional English language programmes. It has:
- a dedicated self-access area where you can study independently and access learning materials in over 40 different languages
- an extensive collection of foreign-language feature films and documentaries
- satellite television over the internet for the study of languages and computer assisted language learning
- a dedicated language learning advisor always on hand to help
Our students have free access to the online learning package Rosetta Stone, giving you the opportunity to learn a wide range of languages from beginner to intermediate level.