“SPARK were a tremendous help! For me, who didn’t have much of a business background past sales, I was given an introduction to many aspects of business - from contract law to how to perfect an elevator pitch - by industry professionals.”
Our business start-up service Spark, based at our Careers Centre, is there to support you as you develop your idea into a viable business.
You could benefit from access to business advice, grants and funding, enterprise events, modules and mentoring. How we can help you:
- access to grants and funding to help you get started
- events and modules to help you learn about setting up and running a busines
- access to careers advice to help you decide whether starting a business is right for you
- advice and mentoring including access to alumni to help you from concept to start-up and beyond
Spark also run workshops to help you develop your knowledge and grow your ideas. We provide additional opportunities for you to develop your enterprising skills. These include an annual enterprise boot camp to help you learn about the practical aspects of starting a business, networking events and access to our experienced business mentors.
Our enterprising students and graduates can benefit from access to professional office space, meeting rooms and Spark business advisors the InTechnology Enterprise Incubator on campus at the Leeds Innovation Centre.
Getting involved with an enterprise society could also boost your entrepreneurial skills.
The University won the Entrepreneurship award at the Guardian University Awards 2016
If you have an idea for a social enterprise we can help you with the funding to set it up and ensure you get expert advice and support, through our Leeds for Life Foundation and Green Exchange initiative. Our students can develop their entrepreneurship skills while supporting external social organisations with the help of the social enterprise zone
Scholarships and competitions
Funding from awards, scholarships and enterprise competitions could contribute towards your costs as a budding entrepreneur.
Find out about the available awards and check your eligibility:
- Enterprise scholarship scheme
- MSc Enterprise scholarship
- Business plan competition
- Proof of Concept fund
- The Sir Peter Thompson enterprise award: given annually to exceptionally enterprising students or graduates of the University. Applications are by invitation. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
View our student profiles to find out more about enterprise at Leeds