This page is for prospective undergraduate applicants and those holding an offer for 2021 entry. 

For the latest coronavirus information for applicants or offer holders please visit our COVID-19 frequently asked questions.

Information for prospective applicants 

How do I apply?

You must apply for an undergraduate degree course online via UCAS. It provides guidance on filling in your UCAS undergraduate application. You can also see our how to apply page for further information.

What grades do I need?

Entry requirements for all our undergraduate courses can be found in our Coursefinder. Further information on English language qualifications can be found on our international entry requirements page.

I'm not studying A-level; can I still apply to Leeds?

We welcome applicants with a variety of qualifications. For further information see our accepted UK and international qualifications.

I haven't got the grades, or don't think I'll achieve the required grades for my course; should I still apply?

At Leeds we recognise that not all applicants are able to demonstrate their talents and potential through grades alone.

We have an alternative admissions scheme that helps students from underrepresented groups have the chance to study at Leeds. This includes our Access to Leeds scheme which considers your personal circumstances and gives special consideration to applicants who meet the scheme eligibility criteria, and have the potential to succeed at university.

Do you offer foundation level programmes and extended degrees?

If you don’t have the formal qualifications for direct entry to one of our degree courses, you could apply for one of our extended degree courses. These begin with a preparatory foundation year to help you gain the necessary academic skills and knowledge to progress to the standard degree. We also offer a one year, part-time preparatory degree programme, Interdisciplinary Studies.

For international students, we have an International Foundation Year which is an essential preparatory year for students with high school qualifications that do not enable direct entry to bachelor’s degrees. For more information, see our international admissions qualifications page

Do you accept General Studies and Critical Thinking?

Some of our courses may accept Critical Thinking and General Studies. Please refer to Coursefinder or search the UCAS website to see whether departments include these qualifications in their offers.

Do you accept the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)?

We accept the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), but it isn't a requirement of an offer. However, we appreciate it provides the opportunity for you to develop important research and academic skills. 

For some courses we may make an alternative offer that involves successful completion of the Extended Project (for example, AAB plus A in the Extended Project as an alternative to AAA at A-Level). Please contact the relevant admissions team to find out more. 

Do you take extenuating circumstances into account?

We advise that your school includes information about your mitigating circumstances in the reference that they write as part of your UCAS form and, where possible, expect that this should have been taken into consideration by the exam board so that any adjustments can be made at the point of assessment and marking. If you’d like to discuss your situation, please contact the admissions team for your course,

Can I apply for deferred entry?

We’re happy to receive applications for deferred entry, which can be submitted during your last year at school. We’d encourage you to use your personal statement to explain your reasons for taking a gap year.  

Please note that if you’re applying for deferred entry you’ll still need to meet any conditions of your offer by 31 August in the academic year in which you apply.

Will I have to attend an interview as part of the application process?

Some of our courses do require an interview such as Medicine, Midwifery and Social Work.  To find out more check the entry requirements for your chosen course on Coursefinder.

Do you offer any scholarships?

Yes, there are a number of scholarships available to undergraduate students at Leeds.

Can I arrange to visit the University?

We usually hold University open days and campus tours throughout the year. However, due to the current situation these events are taking place virtually. For further details please see our open days and visits page.

Can I transfer to Leeds from another university?

Most of our schools will consider requests to transfer onto a course from another university, You usually need to show that you have met the course's standard first year entry requirements, as well as be performing well in your current degree, which must be relevant to the new course. For further information, get in touch with the relevant admissions team using the contact details on the course page.

Information for offer holders for 2021 entry

I've applied for an undergraduate course at Leeds and received an offer. Will I be able to attend an applicant visit days?

If you are holding an offer at Leeds you should receive an invitation to an applicant virtual visit. These sessions give you a chance to find out more about your course and what it’s like to study at Leeds. You’ll also hear from both academic staff and current students.

How will the changes to this year’s exams affect my offer of a place?

Following the latest announcement that plans for this years A level and Scottish Higher Advanced exams have changed, we are currently awaiting further guidance on what form assessment will take. We are fully committed to ensuring that our admissions processes are fair and that none of our applicants are disadvantaged by the changes to exams. We will stay in regular contact to keep you informed and information will be updated here.

If you are an international student and your exams have been cancelled, we will also take this into account and be flexible where possible.