We offer a number of resources to support and develop your students study skills and help them to prepare for university.
Research and study skills films
We have developed a set of films to help students improve their study skills.
Download supporting documents for the films:
Choosing a course at university
An introduction to the decision making process involved when selecting a programme of study and a university. The session looks at the use of prospectuses and highlights key questions students may wish to explore through online sources or by speaking with university representatives at UCAS HE conventions.
Available for download are:
Online tutorials on study and research skills
The University library provides a range of free, online resources which are suitable for students undertaking any research projects such as the EPQ, IB essay and extended research projects. For the full range of online resources, please visit the Skills@Library website.
- an overview of referencing styles
- understanding plagiarism and how to avoid it
- reading skills - including selecting texts, developing critical thinking and taking notes
- finding and evaluating information with information on researching independently
- writing skills - this covers different formats of academic writing from reports to reflective logs
- time management tutorial
- presentation skills
- voice training - this is part of the presentation skills tutorial and covers ways to help calm nerves and to help improve public speaking skills