If you have been offered a place on a research degree, subject to the award of a previous qualification, you must provide evidence of the award either by emailing copies alongside your application or by bringing original documents to the Student Services Centre in the Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building when you register with your school.  

It is your responsibility to ensure that the evidence meets our requirements: 

  • if the evidence is not in the form of an official degree certificate or final transcript you will need to provide an official letter, on university headed paper, from the central registry, central administration or equivalent department of your institution, confirming all relevant details 
  • if your university does not award degrees centrally, you must provide a document from the central registry, central administration or equivalent department which confirms this, in addition to the qualification evidence from your faculty
  • the evidence must clearly state your name and this must match the details that we hold on record
  • it must clearly state the name of the qualification. If your offer is subject to a specific mark, this must also be clearly stated in the same format as is specified on your acceptance letter 
  • if your previous university cannot provide evidence of the award in English, you can provide a version from an official translation service, but we do require sight of the original certificate or final transcript too

If you have completed a course at any institution – including the University of Leeds – but have not yet received formal notification of the award, you must provide a letter from your university showing that all the required work has been completed. This letter must be sent to Postgraduate Research and Operations at rp_applications@adm.leeds.ac.uk prior to registration.  

The letter must:

  • be in English
  • be issued on University headed paper
  • be issued by the School or central administration
  • confirm that you have completed all the components for your course
  • including any provisional results available  (not all Universities issue provisional results – the University of Leeds does not)
  • state that “I confirm that this student is highly likely to successfully complete their programme”
  • be signed or stamped
  • confirm the date the qualification is due to be awarded

You will then be able to register, as long as you send us formal notification of your award within a specified time period (usually three months). If you do not provide this your studies could be suspended.

You will not be able to register if you cannot provide written evidence from your course director or administrator that you have completed all the required work for the previous degree.

Please note that it is your responsibility to acquire this evidence. Our Postgraduate Research and Operations staff are unable to offer assistance with this during the registration process.