We are committed to attracting and supporting the very best students. If you have the talent, drive and potential to succeed, we want to make sure you can study with us, whatever your financial circumstances.
We offer non-repayable support to UK and EU students to help with the costs of being at University, which is linked to your annual household income. You will be able to choose how you receive this support either as a cash bursary, a discount on your fees or University accommodation. Find out which choice is best for you. EU students must take the support as a tuition fee discount.
To qualify for the full-time LFS award you must be registered on a full-time, undergraduate, higher-education course lasting at least one year, for example:
- a degree
- foundation degree
- diploma of higher education (DipHE) or
- certificate of higher education (CertHE)
Are you eligible?
If you are applying to start your course in 2018, to qualify you must:
- be either a UK undergraduate student, normally living in England, Northern Ireland or Scotland for the three years immediately before the start of the course and, settled in the UK on the first day of the course, or an EU student
- be liable for the higher rate fee, or pro-rata equivalent for part-time students (ie £9,250 for a 2017 entry student entering level one of their degree)
- have not already achieved an equivalent or higher-level qualification
- not have tuition fees funded by the NHS
- not have a household income of more than £36,000 a year if full-time, or £42,875 if you are part-time or taking a foundation year
- not be on a study-abroad or work-placement year
- not be studying on a degree apprenticeship programme
The level of support you receive depends on your household income and the year you start your studies.
Do you need to apply?
No, you don't need to apply for Leeds Financial Support, we will make our decision based on the information you provide to the Student Loans Company (SLC) when you apply for a loan. Both you and your sponsors (usually your parents or partner) will need to give the SLC consent to share your household income with the University.
Once you have started at Leeds, we will send an email to your University email account in the autumn term, confirming your eligibility. Once you have received this, you can choose how you wish to receive your support.
It is possible to be means-tested by SLC even if you do not wish to take out a maintenance or tuition fees loan. If you do not wish to take out a loan but still wish to be considered for an LFS award, visit the government's student finance forms page.