Students in nursing, midwifery and allied health professions (other than those subject to transitional arrangements) are able to access student loans to cover the cost of their tuition fees and means-tested support for living costs. 

This has been the arrangement since 1 August 2017. Before this date, their course fees were paid by Health Education England (HEE) and they received a bursary from the NHS Business Services Authority (NHS BSA).

If you're planning to study medicine, dentistry, or social work, the funding you are entitled to may be slightly different from the standard package of funding available to other students. Please see the following information for more details.

Nursing, midwifery, allied health profession courses

The NHS BSA are working on the detail and the process of the funding for 2020 entry; please keep checking the following NHS BSA website for further information.

Medicine and dentistry

If you're taking a first degree in medicine or dentistry you can apply for the standard government loans and support package for the first four years of your course.

From year five onwards, you may be eligible instead for the NHS student bursary scheme. Please see the NHS Student Bursaries website and the government website about NHS bursaries for the latest information.

Social Work degrees

To view information for 2019/20 entry please visit the NHS Social Work Bursaries website. Details for 2020/21 entry will be available in due course.