The University is an award-winning centre for business, enterprise and innovation. From our triple accredited Business school to us being awarded University of the Year 2017 , we can provide opportunities for local businesses, support student enterprise and have innovative partnerships with market-leading companies.
The University of Leeds has been recognised for our work with a number of national awards for enterprise:
Times Higher Education Awards 2015 Entrepreneurial University of the Year
The Times Higher Education Awards named Leeds as the Entrepreneurial University of the Year last year. The award recognised our role in offering opportunities for student entrepreneurship, the support we provide for small businesses in the region and our significant innovation in commercialising intellectual property. It highlighted the Universitys curriculum opportunities for enterprise education owing to unprecedented levels of alumni and business community support as well as a strong local and regional impact in both public and private sectors.
Enterprise is at the heart of the institutional vision of the University of Leeds, with senior staff, experienced educators and leading researchers driving this agenda across the whole university.Times Higher Education Award Judges
Guardian University Award for Enterprise 2016
The national Guardian University Award recognised the University for encouraging a spirit of creativity and self-belief that helps students to launch their own enterprises. The InTechnology Incubator project - which helps new graduates looking to set up in business - was praised for providing a much-needed physical space on campus. The service offers business advice, practical support and access to financial assistance.
The Duke of York Award for University Entrepreneurship - 2015 Lloyds Bank National Business Awards
The Duke of York Award for University Entrepreneurship was awarded to Leeds at the 2015 Lloyds Bank National Business Awards. The award recognised the Universitys role in encouraging and enabling student entrepreneurship and supporting high growth small businesses in the region.
Leeds University Business School shortlisted for business school of the year 2016
Leeds University Business School was shortlisted for Business School of the Year at the Times Higher Education Awards 2016
Leeds was shortlisted for a number of reasons:
- In 2015, Leeds received triple accreditation from the world's leading bodies AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS, placing Leeds in the top 1% of business schools globally. Leeds was also one of the first institutions to receive a Gold Award from the government's Small Business Charter, for its role in supporting small businesses.
- The School has undertaken impactful research with organisations including Marks & Spencer, Rolls-Royce and the Leeds City Region Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).
- The Research Excellence Framework (REF, 2014) saw the School ranked ninth for the quality of its research, making Leeds the only UK business school outside London to be both triple accredited and in the REF top ten.
- Leeds has also led the way with two flagship schemes which connect students with business professionals. The first, Nurturing Talent is a one-two-one mentoring scheme which connects around 150 undergraduate students with business mentors from over 60 organisations, half of which are also University alumni. The scheme aims to enhance the employability skills of our students, and the vast majority of mentees reported that their mentor helped them secure an internship or placement.
- The Leaders in Residence scheme also received high praise. This initiative involves more than 80 chief executives, partners, managing directors and entrepreneurs from external companies. Facilitated within the Business School, the Leaders run a programme of interactive sessions with students, covering topics ranging from leadership to creative marketing strategies.