Key persons (please click on the names to view details)
- Educational and research services in the fields of telecommunications, radio frequency engineering and electromagnetic wave propagation.
- Research and Development Activity Areas:
- (1) Acoustics and sound engineering,
- (2) Opto-electronic communications,
- (3) Radar and microwave propagation research (tropospheric remote sensing).
- The Radar and Propagation Research Group is involved with radar and microwave based instruments.
- Methods and algorithms developed are being used primarily for the purposes of atmospheric and cloud physical research, snow avalanches, and for practical applications in the fields of (aviation) meteorology and hydrology.
- Key activities in this field are:
- (a) Development and application of "Avalanche radars" (pulsed C-band Doppler radars) for the
xxxxxxdetection and speed profiling of snow and ice avalanches (cooperation with Institute of
xxxxxxSnow and Avalanche Research, Innsbruck; EU 4th Framework Project "SAME").
- (b) Design and successful implementation of the Central European Weather Radar Network
xxxxxx("CERAD") with 10 countries participating (A, CH, CZ, CRO, D, H, I, PL, SLK and SLO);
xxxxxxCooperation with the Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics, Vienna.
- (c) Representation of Austria in the European Concerted Action COST-75, "Advanced
xxxxxxWeather Radar Systems",
- (d) Representation of Austria in the European Concerted Action COST-76 ("VHF-UHF-
xxxxxxWindprofilers and Vertical Sounders), development of an experimental 1280-MHz-
xxxxxxWindprofiler (vertically looking pulsed Doppler radar).
- (e) Feasibility and definition study for a ground based cloud profiling radar (cooperation with
xxxxxxJoanneum Research under contract to ESA) for application in atmospheric and climatic
xxxxxxmonitoring missions (ground truth instrument for spaceborne cloud radars).
- (f) Development and implementation of high-speed and high-volume multi-channel data
xxxxxxacquisition systems for radar video signal archiving and analysis.
- Randeu, W.L., Okorn, R., Schreiber, H. and Riedler, W. 1994. The INW 1280 MHz Windprofiler - Description, first results and planned studies. Third International Symposium on Tropospheric Profiling: Needs and Technologies, Aug 30th - Sept 2nd, Hamburg.
- Randeu, W.L., and Schreiber, H. 1998. Winter Road Management Support by Pulsed Doppler Avalanche Radar. Presentation at PIARC Xth International Winter Road Congress, Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute, Lulea, Sweden, March 10-19.
- Rammer, L., Schreiber, H., Randeu, W.L., Kristensen, K. and Lied, K. 1998. Radar measurements of snow avalanche full scale experiment in Ryggform. Presentation at NGI - 25 Year Anniversary Conference, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI), Voss, Norway, May 13-16; NGI Publication Nr. 203, Oslo, 1998.
- Randeu, W., Riedler, W., Kubista, E. and Stampfl, F.M. 1988. The behaviour of ground clutter echoes obtained with a frequency-agile C-band weather radar. Paper presented at International Symposium on Radio Propagation (ISRP '88), Beijing, April.
- Randeu, W., Riedler, W. and Okorn, R. 1990. A pulsed Doppler radar for the acquisition of avalanche dynamics. Symposium on "Avalanches and planning of mountain territory (CIV '90)", October 9 - 10, Arabba(BL), Italy.
- Randeu, W.L. 1997. Consequences of the Doppler Requirement for Electronic Scanning. Proceedings COST-75 Workshop on Doppler weather radar, October 22-23, 1996, ERSA/FVG, Villa Chiozza, Cervignano del Friuli (UD), Italy; European Commission, Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, ISBN 92-828-0251-5 (75 pp.), pp. 48-57.
- Randeu, W.L., and H. Schreiber, 1998: Winter Road Management Support by Pulsed Doppler Avalanche Radar. Presentation at PIARC Xth International Winter Road Congress, Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute, Lulea, Sweden, March 10-19.