The University Library is the second largest university library in England outside the copyright
It has a total stock of over 2.7 million items. The Library is a founder member of the twenty-strong Consortium of University Research Libraries in the UK. Together these libraries' holdings are greater than that of the British Library and account for a large proportion of the total national university library holdings.
As a major research
Selected notable individual collections
The Brotherton Collection, a celebrated collection of rare books and manuscripts. Its nucleus is the private library of Lord Brotherton, presented to the University after his death in 1930 together with funds to finance its growth. There are important collections of medieval manuscripts and incunabula, to which additions continue to be made. A list of the medieval manuscripts is available for consultation.
The Melsteth Icelandic Collection, a collection of some 13,000 volumes and pamphlets made by
The Archives of the Dean & Chapter of Ripon. The Library has on long-term deposit both the old library of Ripon Cathedral, especially rich in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century theological works, and the Archives of the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. Both collections contain medieval manuscripts and documents.
The Roth Collection, containing post-Biblical Judaica, including manuscripts from the fourteenth century onwards, collected by the late
The Oriental Manuscript Collection forms part of the University Library holdings. It contains over 500 manuscripts, some of which are medieval. Most of the manuscripts are Arabic and Persian and there are also several in other oriental languages, such as Syriac,
The Rigby Collection contains 3500 glass slides taken in 1940-51. It covers all aspects of medieval ecclesiastical architecture in the UK and mainland Europe. The slides are of cathedrals, abbeys and 500 parish churches. Also of note are the 800 that cover important French churches.
The Yorkshire Archaeological and History Society has deposited in 2016
The University possesses a unique collection of nineteenth-century slides of medieval buildings. The majority of these slides are from the Godfrey Bingley Collection and the West Riding Collection, which provide a remarkable set of photographs of ancient monuments, churches, castles and domestic architecture as they were before restoration.