The MA in Biomedical and Health Care Ethics offers a rigorous grounding in health care ethics and biomedical ethics, provided by tutors from the Centre with expertise in teaching ethics in medical disciplines. Students learn about the ethical issues that arise across all areas of medicine and health care practice, and can specialise in areas of particular interest.
To apply for the course, visit our Student Portal.
Details on how to apply can be found on our How To Apply webpage.
An overview of the course can be found on our Course Finder pages:
- Campus-Based - join our hub of students, research and teaching staff, with face-to-face teaching and free ethics events.
- Online Distance Learning - this course taught entirely online, with no need to attend the university. This is particularly appropriate for those in full-time employment and international students, looking to gain a qualification from a leading university from anywhere in the world.
More information on our online distance learning courses can be found on our online distance learning webpage.
The programme is available for study at BA and MA level as an Intercalated degree, for students from Medicine and Dentistry. For further information please visit our Intercalating Year webpage, or visit the School of Medicine Website.
Who is this course for?
The MA Biomedical and Health Care Ethics is aimed at health care students and professionals, and attracts graduates from philosophy and associated disciplines.
The programme is particularly suitable as continuing professional development (CPD), and most of our students study part-time whilst working (the course can be taken on a full-time basis).
Many of our students are in a variety of sectors, including:
- Mental Health
- Public Health
- Governance and Regulation
- International Development
- Medical Research
- Academic research biosciences, philosophy, social sciences
- Health Care Managers and Consultants
- Health Care Board Advisors
- HR and administration
- Health and Safety
- Commissioning and planning - regional-/government-level
If you are interested in this course but do not have an undergraduate degree, you can apply for a Postgraduate Diploma in Biomedical and Health Care Ethics. This is also available full-time and part-time, as a programme on campus or an online distance learning programme.
Professional Ethics Short Course
If you are interested in what the Masters course would entail before committing to the full programme, we also provide an introductory Short Course in Biomedical and Health Care Ethics. Further details about the Short Course can be found on our Short Course webpage.
How can I find out more?
- Further essential information, including entry requirements, can be found in Coursefinder - campus based and online.
- Further information on the application process can be found on our How To Apply webpage
- If you have any further questions, please contact the Admissions Team
- Updates on our courses can be found on our Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages