+44 (0)113 34 33183
Summary: Professor of Social History
Location: Michael Sadler Building, 3.09
Teaching Commitments: HIST1055 Historiography & Historical Skills; HIST2121 Fraternity, Skill & the Politics of Labour, 1660-1870; HIST3300 Chartism; HIST3470 Memories
I joined the School of History in 2005, having begun work for the University in 1982 at an adult education centre it ran in Middlesbrough. In 1994 I transferred to the Leeds campus, teaching History in the School of Continuing Education (where, among other things, I was the Chair, 2002-2005).
My research interests are varied but centre on British popular culture and politics, primarily in the nineteenth century. For further details click on Research in the menu to the left.
- Past Chair of the Social History Society
- Vice-President of the Society for the Study of Labour History
- History Editor of the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal
Member of the Editorial Board of Cultural & Social History
Chair, Northern History Management Committee
- Former Editor of Labour History Review
- Former Honorary Editor for the Cleveland & Teesside Local History Society
- I am also the archivist for the York Musical Society, one of the oldest choral societies in England
I am a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, and also of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) and the Higher Education Academy.