+44 (0)113 343 3614
Summary: Origins of firepower; Late medieval fields of conflict, the reception of the Middle Ages from the 18th century to the present day (in heritage industries, film, TV, fiction and everyday life).
The reception of the Middle Ages in the 18th and 19th Century; modern approaches to the Middle Ages, Heritage and Public History; study of the past by non-university experts (in the heritage industries, civic trusts, museums, libraries, archives); presentation of the past to different audiences (museum, film, television, historical fiction, everyday life), origins of firepower in Western Europe; Late medieval fields of conflict.
Survey of Medieval Studies in the UK, a project on origins of firepower, looking at the later medieval development of artillery and explosives, its uses and contributions to changes in society, an article on the emergence of scholarly and popular fascination with Middle English texts for a handbook of Victorian Medievalism, and a study on the public perception of the medieval period and the motivating factors which encourage individuals to pursue further study in the fields of Medieval Studies.
- Fellow, Royal Historical Society
- Editorial Board Member, European Medieval Battlefield Series
- Corresponding Member, Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Mittelalterstudien, Universität Salzburg
- External Expert Advisory Board Member, CENDARI - Collaborative European Digital Archive Infrastructure
- Advisory Board Member, Forschungstelle für Vergleichende Ordensgeschichte, Katholische Universität Eichstätt (FOVOG)
- Member of Co-operative for the Advancement of Research through a Medieval European Network (CARMEN)
- Member of Leeds Philosophical and Literary Society
- Member of International Arthurian Society
- Member of Yorkshire Archaeological Society (currently chair of Medieval Section)
- Member of Historical Association