Summary: Marriage and the Political Liberal State
Marriage and the Political Liberal State: An Investigation into the nature of the marital relationship and the legitimacy of a political institution of marriage
Supervisors: Gerald Lang and Matthew Smith
Political Philosophy; Philosophy of Love and Friendship; Applied and Normative Ethics
Funding and Awards
I am extremely grateful to the University of Leeds School of Philosophy, Religion and History of Science for awarding me funding which will support me for the duration of my PhD.
I was awarded the Morrell Studentship for MA in Political Philosophy; the idea of toleration, at The University of York 2010/11
MA Political Philosophy; The Idea of Toleration - University of York (2011)
BA (Hons) Philosophy, (First Class) - University of Leeds (2010)
Talks and Conference Presentations
'Is Marriage Compatible with Political Liberalism?'
- Association of Social and Political Philosophy Conference, University of Sheffield, 27th - 29th June 2017
- Postgraduate Session at the Joint Session, Cardiff University, 8th-10th July 2016
- Society for Applied Philosophy Conference, Queens University Belfast, 1st-3rd July 2016
- White Rose Philosophy Forum, University of Sheffield, 13th February 2016
'An Underlying Tension in Political Liberal Objections to Marriage'
- Warwick Graduate Conference in Political and Legal Theory, University of Warwick, 18th Feb 2017
'Re-framing the Marriage Debate'
- Postgraduate Seminar, University of Leeds, 13th Oct 2017
'The Role of a Romantic Partner'
- Love etc. Workshop, University of Leeds, 7th-8th Sept 2017
- Postgraduate Seminar, University of Leeds, 24th March 2017
'Is Marriage Compatible With Political Liberalism?'
- Centre for Ethics and Metaethics (CEM) Research Seminar, University of Leeds, 27th April 2016
- Postgraduate Seminar, University of Leeds, 26th February 2016
'Loving Friendships and Friendly Love'
· Postgraduate Seminar, University of Leeds, 22nd May 2015
- Moral Philosophy (upper level)
- Political Philosophy (upper level)
- War, Terror and Justice (upper level)
Lower Level Tutoring:
- Introduction to Political Philosophy
- I Think Therefore I Am: The Philosophy of Descartes
- How to Think Clearly and Argue Well
- The Good, The Bad, The Right, The Wrong
- Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion
Upper Level Tutoring:
- Moral Philosophy
- Political Philosophy
- War, Terror and Justice
- Revolution and Reaction (POLIS module)
Medical Ethics Project Tutor for Year 3 Medical Students:
- 'Who Should Decide? Decisions Concerning Medical Treatment.'
- 'The Ethics of Social Egg Freezing
Campus to Clinic Year 1 Medical Ethics Tutor
Minorities and Philosophy (MAP): I helped to set up the Leeds MAP chapter in Autumn 2014 and have served as the Treasurer/Secretary for 2014/15. We have run regular reading groups and workshops as well as organising a conference on Implicit Bias which was held at the IDEA CETL in October 2015. As part of my role I have secured internal funding for the regular events as well as both internal and external grants for the conference.
Diversity Reading List (diversityreadinglist.org): I am an Assistant Project Manager, assisting with funding applications and promotion.
Students as Scholars / LEAP: I am a mentor for undergraduate students partaking in this programme which encourages them to engage with the active research happening at the university.