+44 (0)113 34 31890
Summary: Metaethics; Practical Reason; Value Theory; Normative Ethics.
Pekka researches and teaches moral philosophy. His primary research focus is metaethics. Other areas of interest relevant to his work include philosophy of language, metaphysics, and epistemology. His research has been supported by grants from the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the European Community's Seventh Framework Programme. When not on leave, he is Director of the Centre for Ethics and Metaethics. He is currently Director of Research and Innovation for the School of Philosophy, Religion, and History of Science. He also maintains the Leeds philosophy events calendar. He is an Associate Editor of Ethics and an ethics section editor for Ergo: An Open Access Journal of Philosophy.
More information about Pekka's work and interests can be found on his personal webpage.
Research and Supervision Interests
- Practical Reason
- Value Theory
- Normative Ethics
- 'Doubts about Moral Perception', forthcoming in Evaluative Perception (Oxford University Press).
- 'Essential Contestability and Evaluation', Australasian Journal of Philosophy 92 (2014), 417-88.
- 'Shapelessness in Context', Noûs 48 (2014), 573-93.
- The Lewd, the Rude and the Nasty: A Study of Thick Concepts in Ethics (Oxford University Press, 2013; paperback 2015).
- 'A Theory of Hedged Moral Principles', Oxford Studies in Metaethics, Volume 4 (2009), 91-132.
- 'Moral Generalism: Enjoy in Moderation', Ethics 116 (2006), 707-41.
Pekka's other publications and his full CV can be found on his personal webpage.
- Alexios Brehier-Stamatiadis: Grounding and Metaethical Naturalism (2017-20; co-supervised with Jack Woods)
- Andreas Bruns: Agent-Relative Reasons and the Paradox of Deontology (2017-20; co-supervised with Gerald Lang)
- Adina Covaci: Against Moral Deference (2015-18)
- Olof Leffler: The Constitution of Constitutivism (2015-18, co-supervised with Ulrike Heuer)
- Marc Wilcox: The Agency Account of Moral Status: Defending the Equal Moral Status of Humans and Non-Human Animals (2013-17; co-supervised with Gerald Lang).
- Wouter Kalf: A Defence of Moral Error Theory (2013 award; co-supervised with Andrew McGonigal).
- Brooke Barnum-Roberts: A Reactive Attitudes Account of Desert (at UC Davis; 2008 award).
- Christian Coons: The Value of Individuals and the Value of States (at UC Davis; 2006 award; co-supervised with Connie Rosati).