Summary: Bilingualism; multilingualism; intercultural communication; intercultural competence
Location: Rm 420, Michael Sadler Building
Dr Marco Santello is an applied linguist with research interests in bilingualism and multilingualism. He gained his BA at the University of Padua and his MA magna cum laude at the Catholic University of Milan. Subsequent to his graduation he lived in Norway, where he was involved in various activities with the Italian Culture Institute of Oslo, and then moved to Canada to work within the Italian community in Toronto. He completed his PhD at the University of Sydney, where he did both quantitative and qualitative research on advertising and bilingualism. Upon his return to Europe he worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Warwick where he did research on multilingualism in Australia. He collaborated with partners such as Monash University (Melbourne), where he has been a visiting scholar, and the Australian Italian Historical Society, looking at how Italian migration to Australia contributes to the constitution of spaces marked by multilingual practices and experiences of transnationality.
Dr Santellos interests revolve around bilingualism, multilingualism, intercultural communication and intercultural competence. He is particularly interested in language and mobility, language and space, linguistic repertoires, pragmatics of bilingual speech and language attitudes. He is also involved in the study of the nexus of language, religious experience and the transnational. His work has appeared in a number of journals such as Applied Linguistics, International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism and Language in Society as well as volumes.
- Santello, M. 2017. "Quella era veramente è Little Italy, la nostra Little Italy: Multiple Centres, Cultural Presence and the Articulation of Spaces of Speech from Tasmania". Language in Society 46: 207-230.
- Santello, M. 2016. Advertising and Multilingual Repertoires: from Linguistic Resources to Patterns of Response. Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon; New York, NY: Routledge.
- Santello, M. 2015. Advertising to Italian English Bilinguals in Australia: Attitudes and Response to Language Selection. Applied Linguistics 36: 95-120.
- Santello, M. 2015. Bilingual Idiosyncratic Dimensions of Language Attitudes. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 18: 1-25.
- Santello, M. 2015. Italian-English Bilingualism in Australia: the Interplay of Language and Cultural Identification in Khachaturyan, Elizaveta (eds.) Language Nation Identity. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing: 120-143.