- Monday 5 July 2021
- 04:00pm - 05:30pm
- Online event
- Lectures and seminars
- General public
Driving the headlines recently; autonomous vehicles (AV) won’t be taking a backseat anytime soon - but can and should we trust self-driving transportation? Who is responsible when things go wrong?
Welcome to the future of innovation – where we bring together the brightest minds and leading experts from academia, business, government, and society to explore and dissect the ‘big picture’ topical issues within innovation.
For the third event in the series, we’ll be considering the current research, technology, and innovations of AV and share how businesses can support current and future activity taking place in Yorkshire, the Leeds City Region, and beyond.
Our panel of leading experts will consider how the UK compares to other countries in terms of AV development and the contributions Leeds is making globally.
During the session, and up for debate, our panel of experts will discuss:
- What are the legal and ethical ramifications associated with AV?
- Where do AV fit within society, and how can we support the safe development and adoption of such technologies in our cities?
- What are the opportunities and pitfalls of such technologies and how can we overcome them?
- What does the future hold for autonomy in transport?
Meet the panel
Hosting the session, international keynote - Nick Reed, Founder of Reed Mobility, previous Head of Mobility R&D for Bosch, and retained visiting Professor at the 5G Innovation Centre.
Joining Nick, we welcome to the stage:
- Councillor Helen Hayden - Executive Member for Infrastructure and Climate, Leeds City Council
- John Birtwhistle - Head of Policy, UK Bus at FirstGroup
- Dr Ruth Madigan – Research Fellow, Human Factors and Safety (Institute for Transport Studies), University of Leeds
- Anna Craciun - Partnership Manager, Humanising Autonomy
- Martin Pett - Principal Technologist, Human Factors and Immersive Technology, Connected Places Catapult
16:00 – Nexus introduction
16:05 – Meet the panel
16:15 – Panel discussion
17:15 – Interactive Q&A
17:30 – Event finishes
Submit your question to the panel during registration for your chance to be on the virtual stage and ask the panel directly. We’ll select a handful of audience members throughout the session to join in on the discussion.
Part or all of this online event may be recorded and shared as part of post-event content online. We will clearly indicate during the session when the recording will commence and end. If you would like to find out more about our recording policy, or opt-out of this activity, get in touch with the team at email@example.com.
Our privacy notice details how we use your data, what we use it for, how we keep it safe and how you can opt-out of any data processing activities.
Register to attend the event on The Future of Innovation: Autonomous Vehicles event page.