Chapter 11 Expenses financial procedures - travel and subsistence

Expense Claims

  1. Travel and accommodation expenses incurred on authorised University business should be paid directly by the University wherever possible. Expense claims for international air, rail and sea travel should not be submitted.

  2. Where direct payment by the University is not practicable, staff will be reimbursed for reasonable travel and subsistence expenses incurred on authorised University business.  Reimbursement of travel and subsistence claims for employees is made through Payroll in £ sterling using the online expenses system and reimbursement of travel and subsistence claims for non-members of staff, including leavers are made using paper forms. These financial procedures are relevant to both methods of claim unless otherwise stated.

  3. The appropriate authorised signatory within a Faculty/School/Service is responsible for authorising staff expense claims. Expense claims must be authorised by a signatory senior to the claimant, or an appropriately delegated nominee, for the cost object being charged.
  4. Original receipts (VAT receipts where appropriate) should be obtained for expenses for which reimbursement is being claimed.

If a member of staff is working away from the University for a period of time and cannot submit original receipts in a timely manner due to their location, scanned copies of receipts may be accepted to facilitate payment, with original receipts being submitted on return to the University. 

Where hard copy receipts are not offered by the supplier or are not available (e.g. Underground payments, online payments, parking or rail tickets captured by barriers, or shared meals where more than one person is claiming from the same receipt), copies of E- receipts, bank statements and/or credit card statements or a photograph of the receipt, with accompanying explanation may be accepted in lieu of hard copy receipts, on condition that a justification is provided for the absence of the original receipt.  Please note that some evidence of payment must be provided in order for the payment to be made in full.  If no evidence is provided, the claim may be reimbursed in accordance with the Subsistence Claim Rates without receipts thresholds.   The University reserves the right to refuse to process and pay expense claims that are incorrectly prepared or insufficiently supported with original receipts or documentation. If the claim is for costs relating to people other than the claimant, these people must be named individually on the claim.

  1. Reimbursement for payments in a foreign currency will be made in £ sterling, translated at the exchange rate quoted on the day the claim is completed or the date of the transaction.  If actual exchange rates are to be used in the claim, proof of conversion must be submitted e.g. credit card statements. The individual authorising the claim should ensure the conversion rate used is reasonable.

  2. Claims for up to £100 (excluding Advances) may be paid through Cash Services by presenting an original, authorised claim form during Cash Services’ opening hours.

  3. Valid travel expenses not exceeding £10 per week per person may be claimed from petty cash floats.

  4. All expense claims must be submitted within six weeks of incurring the expense, and within three weeks of the financial year end of 31 July.

  5. Copies of all expense claims together with receipts must be retained by the Faculty/School/Service for 6 years or longer if required by specific grant funders.

  6. Expense claims must be submitted by the staff member to whom the expense relates, unless a proxy has been agreed. They must print a copy of the claim, attach receipts, and send to the checker. The claim must be authorised by the approver and checked by the checker.

  7. The expenses of Executive Deans must be authorised by a DVC, the Chief Financial Officer or the Director of Finance. The expenses of other members of University Executive Group (UEG) must be authorised by the Vice Chancellor (VC), Deputy Vice Chancellor (DVC), Chief Financial Officer or University Secretary. The VC's expenses must be authorised by the Chair of Council or nominee. Heads of Service expenses must be authorised by their UEG member. Heads of School expenses must be authorised by the Dean of the Faculty.

  8. Expenses for non-university employees and students are paid through Payroll on submission of an original, authorised Travel and Subsistence form, or an Authority for Payment form for expenses other than travel and subsistence.

    Use of Purchasing Card for Travel 27.

  9. The use of Purchasing cards for international air, rail and sea travel is not permitted. Travellers should use Key Travel for these requirements. However, the use of purchasing cards for UK travel and international hotels is permissible, if the traveller has been authorised to use a purchasing card.

Page owner: | Updated: 11/03//2019 scp