Essential documents

You should bring the documents in the following list in your hand luggage as you may need to show them to enter the UK. You’ll also need them to complete university registration, open a bank account, register with a doctor and complete police registration, if required.

  • Passport.
  • Visa (if required) and the letter you receive when your visa is issued.
  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate and letter from the University – if required.
  • Your academic offer letter.
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) – if required.
  • Original academic qualification certificates and English language test report – remember to bring formal translations if your documents are not in English.
  • Proof of fees paid – if paid in advance.
  • Sponsorship letter – if applicable.
  • Proof that you will have the money to pay your fees and to support yourself while living in the UK – this should include bank statements.
  • Marriage and birth certificates for you and your family – if applicable.
  • Proof of address in your home country – this could be either a letter from the University sent to your home address or a recent letter from your bank.
  • Proof of your UK address.
  • University accommodation contract – if applicable.
  • Health documents (see the following section).
  • Certificate enabling you to work with vulnerable people if needed (see the following section).

Health documents

Before being allowed to enter the UK, you may need to provide proof that you have been screened for tuberculosis. Check whether you need a tuberculosis test certificate.

Check the information on your healthcare entitlements in the UK and what you will need to pay for. If you have a visa for less than six months, buy health insurance before you come to the UK and bring your insurance documents with you. 

Even if you are here for longer and pay the International Health Surcharge, consider buying health insurance to give you extra cover.  

Bring any vaccination and health check records for you and any family members coming with you to the UK. If you’ve not already been vaccinated for Meningitis C and Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR), you should arrange these before you leave home.


If you have an ongoing medical condition, bring a letter in English from your doctor explaining: 

  • your diagnosis (the name of your medical condition)
  • the name and dose of your medication 
  • any monitoring requirements, such as regular blood tests

Bring this letter and your medication in the original packets to show your doctor in Leeds. Check before you travel whether your medication is available in the UK and any regulations related to bringing your medication into the UK.  

If you have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), you should also check the ADHD medication available in the UK.

Work documents 

If you want to do paid or voluntary work in the UK which involves working with young people under the age of 18 or vulnerable adults, you’ll need to apply for a criminal records check and bring the certificate with you to the UK. We recommend you allow plenty of time to apply for this, as the checking process can take several weeks. Find out how to apply for a criminal records check before you arrive in the UK on the UK Government website.


You will need to bring a bank card that you can use in the UK, so you can pay for things before you are able to open a UK bank account, which can take several weeks. The University will not be accepting payment in cash and many shops and food delivery services now require payment by credit or debit card only. Find out more about how much money to bring, along with other information about your finances and how to make payments in the UK. 


You will have to carry your own bags outside airports and on connecting trains and coaches, so keep your luggage light and don’t bring more than you can carry without help.

Customs regulations in the UK are very strict. Do not bring in your luggage any illegal drugs or anything that could be considered a weapon. For more information on restricted and prohibited goods read the Customs advice for travellers entering the UK.

Leeds offers a large range of shops for bedding, kitchen equipment and items for your room that you buy after you arrive. If you are self-isolating you can book kitchen and bedding packs in advance on our Arriving page. If you need to bring more luggage, consider arranging to send for things from home after you have moved into your permanent accommodation.

Pack all your essential documents, essential medication and face coverings in your hand luggage. You should also carry the contact details and address for your accommodation and the University Security Office.