We have extensive facilities for the analysis and testing of materials and devices including a specialism in the analysis of soft matter.
We are a founding member of the EPSRC UK National Facility in Advanced Electron Microscopy. We also link into both of the Leeds-Diamond XPS and SAXS facilities.
Our facilities include:
- the Leeds Electron Microscopy and Spectroscopy Centre, which provides integration between modern microscopic imaging and spectroscopy methodologies (part-funded by the Royce Institute)
- a scanning probe microscopy facility, including high-speed and high-resolution AFMs, and measurement in dynamic liquid environments, as well as facilities for X-ray and mass spectroscopy
- a Versatile X-ray Spectroscopy Facility is a novel multi-technique X-ray core level spectroscopy facility. It combines hard and soft X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy with X-ray emission spectroscopy, while enabling near-ambient environmental control (funded by the Royce Institute)
- 3D Photon correlation spectroscopy for static and dynamic light scattering small and wide-angle x-ray scattering
- nuclear magnetic resonance, including a 400 MHz triple resonance solid state spectrometer. This allows 3D-imaging, diffusion and rheology measurements
- differential scanning calorimetry, enabling characterisation of particles, as well as supramolecular and molecular structures
- a terahertz photonics laboratory with extensive electrical and optical facilities for device testing