Insurance Insurance University of Leeds

Business Travel insurance

Emergency assistance contact information whilst travelling abroad

If you are currently travelling overseas and need emergency assistance, please see the Emergency Medical and Travel Assistance Guide for details.


Cancellation or curtailment of trips due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

The information below is to help colleagues understand the insurance position for claims arising from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

If your travel booking was made after July 2020 this is assumed to have gone through Executive Dean approval and will remain in place. If you need to amend or cancel a travel booking made after this date please contact Key Travel directly by phone 0161 819 8911 or email


Please note that the University’s travel insurance will not cover cancellation or curtailment of travel as a consequence of Covid-19 for trips booked from 29th September 2020.

(Note: travel insurance cover only applies to international trips and not to travel within the UK.)


A Worldwide Business Travel insurance policy has been purchased by the University to provide automatic cover for any member of staff, postgraduate, undergraduate student or any person under a contract to the University, travelling outside the UK on behalf of the University and representing the University in the course of their business. Please note the policy does not provide cover for a spouse or children accompanying the insured person.

Key Points

  • Cover is usually automatic (but see bullet point below about planned travel to certain countries which you must notify the Insurance Office about prior to making any plans), i.e you do not have to provide details of individual journeys and you do not require a Certificate of Insurance to confirm cover is in place.

  • Insurance for students on work placement, electives, study abroad and field courses is free

  • Trips in the United Kingdom are NOT covered

  • The maximum duration of any single trip must not exceed 12 months without prior notification to the Insurance Office

  • Incidental holidays are included provided the main purpose of the journey is for business and the holiday is in the same region as the business element of the trip. The personal holiday must not be longer than the business part.

  • Pre-existing medical conditions are covered provided travel is not contrary to medical advice. NOTE: foreseeable expenses eg repeat prescriptions and routine check-ups are not covered

  • Please check the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) for travel advice and complete a risk assessment form prior to travel, advice is available from your local Health & Safety contacts. Where travel is against FCDO advice, you must seek advice and approval from your Faculty Health & Safety Manager.

  • If you plan to travel to any of the countries listed below, you need to notify the Insurance Office at least two weeks before your trip (as we have to notify our insurers to confirm whether or not cover will be in place):

Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria (only trips to the Niger Delta Region and North of Abuja), North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Yemen, Venezuela and any country where the FCDO advises against all travel ('red' areas).


Summary of Cover Document

The Insurance Summary of Cover document should be printed and taken with you on your journey. Please note this is a summary of the key facts and exclusions. You can also view the full policy but if you have a specific question about the cover please e-mail the Insurance team for further advice.


Proof of insurance letter to support visa applications

For University staff and students travelling on University business who require a letter to confirm you have University of Leeds travel insurance for a visa application, please download the Word template letter below and complete the relevant sections accurately with your full name, your University ID number, your destination and dates for your trip. Once you have done so, you will need to send the letter together with a scanned copy or photo of your University staff/student ID card to the Insurance Office so that a signed copy can be issued to you (please note that it can take up to 7 working days to process your request). Please send the documents to: with the subject line "Request for visa letter".

Visa letter template




Please go to the Claims Section of the web site to download the appropriate claim form. All completed claim forms should be sent to the insurers (Aviva) at

Please ensure that you include with your claim form all necessary evidence and documents to support your claim to avoid any unnecessary delays. Please quote the University's insurance policy number in all your correspondence with the insurers: 100003814GPA.

Aviva's contact number is +44 (0)1243 621416.



Insurance, Room 11.75, EC Stoner Building, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT