Part-Time Tutor in Mental Health
I am a part-time Tutor in Mental Health at the Lifelong Learning Centre. I teach apprentices on the Nursing Associate Foundation Degree and Healthcare for Assistant Practitioners Foundation Degree.
I have practised extensively as a nurse in NHS hospitals, GP, and community-based settings throughout the country. I have held a number of clinical and specialist roles, including those of Ward Sister on an acute inpatient psychiatric unit; Adult Mental Health Community Nurse and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Nurse (CAMHS); Safeguarding Children and Adults Specialist Practitioner; CAMHS Senior Nurse Practitioner, and Pastoral Nurse supporting newly qualified Nursing and Nursing Associate NMC registrants.
My interest in working with vulnerable children began early in my career, when I gained valuable experience as a Residential Social Worker for Looked After and Adopted Children in West Sussex. I have remained active in my support of children in need and have previously completed volunteer work for the NSPCC schools service, delivering safeguarding workshops in North Yorkshire primary schools.
My key clinical interests and experiences are around patient safety, safeguarding, eating disorders and crisis work with young people in distress, using solution-focused and brief therapy interventions. I am also interested in the use of psychoanalytically informed approaches to support the mental health of infants, young people, parents and families.
I am committed to supporting and inspiring the next generation of healthcare practitioners to take care of their own wellbeing, so they can provide personalised and compassionate care to their patients, carers and families.
I hold another part-time role as an IDEALS Tutor for undergraduate medical students at the Leeds Institute of Medical Education.
- Post Graduate Diploma Psychoanalytic Observations - University of Leeds
- B.A. (Hons) / ENB 603 Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing - University of York
- B.A. (Hons) Health Studies - University of Manchester
- ENB 998 - Teaching and Assessing in Clinical Practice
- Registered General Nurse
- Registered Mental Health Nurse
- Royal College of Nursing
- Registered with Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- IDEALS Tutor for undergraduate medical students at Leeds Institute of Medical Education since 2017
- Experienced Mentor / Assessor for student and post-registered nurses in hospital and community settings
Research Groups and Institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Education