Extra financial help

Find out about any extra financial help you could be eligible for.

Students with a disability

If you experience a disability you may be entitled to a grant to cover additional study costs. The Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) is a grant to help some disabled students cover any additional costs that arise as a direct result of a disability.

Other sources of financial help in addition to the standard student finance loans include:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Universal Credit

More details are available on the government student disability help page or by visiting the UCAS website's disabled students page.

You can also visit our page about disability services and our funding for disabled students page for information on the University's guidance and support for disabled students. For any specific questions regarding funding with academic support, students should email disability@leeds.ac.uk. The University also has an access fund which provides funding for non-academic support.

Student Advice at Leeds University Union can support students in applying for specific disability related funding.

Students with dependent children

If you have children you could be eligible for an additional government grant and/or allowance, such as the Childcare Grant and Parents’ Learning Allowance.

There is plenty of financial support available, but it's not always easy to work out what you're entitled to, especially if you're already getting benefits. If you want some help you can get individual advice from the Student Advice Centre in Leeds University Union. They will be happy to help.

Our Lifelong Learning Centre has information about the practical help we offer, including childcare, accommodation for families, and campus facilities for students with young children.

Students with adult dependants

If you're a full-time student with an adult financially dependent on you, you may be able to apply for the Adult Dependants' Grant.

Students in financial hardship

If you're in financial difficulty you may be able to claim for help from the Leeds Hardship Fund. This comes from the government, but is administered by each individual university. Students are assessed on their individual needs and any help you get from the fund is usually non-repayable.

You can apply at any time from the date you register up to the last day of your course. You can find more information about the Leeds Hardship Fund on our website for current students.