A typical use of Minerva is to hold learning materials, such as, handouts and lecture presentations. This guide will show you how to add content to your module/organisation.
Add an item
Blackboard allows most file types to be uploaded to a content area when adding an item except for an .EXE file. However, for a student to read an uploaded file, they must have the appropriate software, so for example if a tutor uploads a PDF document, the student must have suitable program such as Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on their computer to read the file.
- From the module/organisation menu navigate to the appropriate content area, i.e.; Learning Resources.
- Ensure that Edit Mode is switched ON from the top right of the screen, if it isn't already.
- Select Add Content and click Item.
- Name - Enter a name for the item (this is required).
- Choose Colour of Name - You can use the picker to alter the text colour.
- Text - You can enter any optional descriptive text.
You can add files stored on your PC dragging one or more from your computer into the Attach Files area.
Alternatively you can click Browse My Computer.
Once you have selected the file you want to add you will be presented will further options:
- Link title: You can add a relevant name to be displayed as a link to the file. If left empty this will be the name of the file you have added (i.e. myworddocument.doc)
- Do not attach: Select this if you wish remove the file.
- Adding multiple files: You can add more than one file by selecting the Browse My Computer button again.
- Permit Users to View this Content- You can make the content available immediately, or select No if you wish to work on the item and release it at a later date.
- Track number of views - This records who and when the item was accessed.
- Choose date and time restrictions* - You can display the item after and until a specific time and date.
Click Submit to add the item.
You will see an on screen notification confirming the item has been created. It will be listed in your content area.
If you have added any date and time restrictions or made the item unavailable it can be viewed by switching Edit Mode ON from the top right of the screen.
Add a Folder
Folders are a useful way of organising content by adding a structure to your module/organisation.
- From the module/organisation menu navigate to the appropriate content area; Learning Resources has been used for this example.
- Ensure that Edit Mode is switched ON from the top right of the screen, if it isn’t already.
- Select the Add Content action link and click Content Folder.
Now follow the steps in the Content Information and Options sections to add the folder.