The news feed functionality allows you to add latest news from websites, blog postings, social bookmarking and podcast subscriptions in your module/organisation area.
To copy a feed link from the BBC or similar sites select the RSS symbol by right clicking the mouse and then select copy.
- URL - Paste the URL (Web Address) of a valid RSS news feed here.*
- Number of Stories – Enter how many items you would like to display. To display all current stories enter -1. Stories will be displayed in order of most recently added first.*
*Indicates required field.
- Display Social Networking Tools – This option allows the instructor to give a student the option to ‘bookmark’ a news story of interest within a number of social networking/bookmarking websites. At present this includes Digg, del.icio.us, reddit and StumbleUpon.
- Display Feed Title – You can display the default title as set by the publisher.
- Substitute Feed Title - You can add your own title, replacing the publishers.
- Display Feed Description – You can display the default introductory description to the feed as set by the publisher.
- Substitute Feed Description - You can add your own description, replacing the publishers.
- Display Feed Image – You can display an image provided by the publisher.
- Display Feed Pub Date – You can display the date the feed was published (if provided).
The item setup options can be used to customise the amount of detail included in a news feed.
- Display Item Descriptions - Provides introductory text to each item. By selecting No only the title of the item will be displayed.
- Display Item Author, Display Item Pub Date & Separate Items with Rule -These options allow you to personalise the way in which the content is displayed.
- News Feed Available – Select Yes to make the feed available to students.
Submit & View
Click Submit to add the feed then select OK.
The image below is an example feed using the default setup options, each field has a numeric identifier that is highlighted using the key below.
|1. Feed Title
|2. Feed Description
|3. Item Description
|4. Social Networking Tools
|5. Horizontal Rule for Item Separation
(Separate Items with Rule)
|6. Feed Image
|7. Feed Published Date
Edit & Delete news feeds
To modify a feed make sure Edit Mode is ON. Select the action link to the right of the news feed name then click Edit. To permanently remove a feed click the Delete button from the action link.