University of Leeds scientists will bring science to the local pub this May, discussing everything from microbubbles to sustainable cities.
Nearly 40 University scientists will appear in pubs across the city from 14 - 16 May during Pint of Science, the worlds largest festival of science talks.
Leeds joins nearly 300 cities across 21 countries taking part in this global festival.
Over the three days 18 different events are due to take place in Leeds this year, exploring the topics of conservation, astronomy, neuroscience, and volcanology, among many others. Alongside the talks, each evening will also include a range of science-inspired activities including live experiments, quizzes, games and geeky puzzles.
PhD researchers Peter Wyatt and Sophie Jones at the University have organised Pint of Science Leeds. Peter said: Were back for our third year in Leeds and weve got a great selection of new and exciting research to share with people.
For anyone who has not been before, Pint of Science is a chance to hear directly from researchers about groundbreaking new findings, and it provides a fun and friendly opportunity to ask them anything you like. Come grab a pint, meet the experts, and learn something new.
Tickets for Pint of Science Leeds are now available online here, and the full schedule of talks and the pub they will be held in are outlined below.
Planet Earth - The Grub and Grog Shop
- Conservation in the Anthropocene: Monday 14 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Do you want ice with that?: Tuesday 15 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Vengeful Earth: Wednesday 16 May, 7pm-9.30pm
Atoms to Galaxy - The Adelphi
- Cosmic rays and radio waves: Monday 14 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Cant touch this: Tuesday 15 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Small and mighty: Wednesday 16 May, 7pm-9.30pm
Tech Me Out - Pieminister
- Cyber students: Monday 14 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Getting to the heart of it: Tuesday 15 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Harder, better, faster, stronger: Wednesday 16 May, 7pm-9.30pm
Beautiful Mind - North Brewing Company
- Doing your head in: Monday 14 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Change your mind: Tuesday 15 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Minds eye: Wednesday 16 May, 7pm-9.30pm
Our Society - Belgrave Music Hall
- From sh*tholes to sustainable cities: Monday 14 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- A knight to remember: Tuesday 15 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Science, religion and society: Wednesday 16 May, 7pm-9.30pm
Our Body - The Social
- Be nice to mice: Monday 14 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Drug delivery is going viral: Tuesday 15 May, 7pm-9.30pm
- Ive gut you under my skin: Wednesday 16 May, 7pm-9.30pm
For the full list of Pint of Science talks around the world, and booking details, visit the festival website.
Pint of Science was established six years ago by a group of UK-based postgraduate and postdoctoral researchers and has grown into one of the worlds biggest science festivals.
The founders, Dr Praveen Paul and Dr Michael Motskin, have brought a personal touch to science, giving everyone the chance to meet the people behind the incredible research taking place across the globe.
"There is so much fascinating research happening right under our noses that we don't know about, said Dr Paul. Some can get lost in translation leading to fake news. Pint of Science allows people direct access to inspiring scientists and encourages open discussion, all in the most familiar of British places, the pub!
For more information contact Simon Moore in the University of Leeds press office on 0113 34 34031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.