Leeds celebrates all things digital next week as organisations from across the region come together for Leeds Digital Festival.
The two-week programme includes talks, workshops, networking and live coding.
The University of Leeds is a key supporter for this years festival and is partnering with organisations from across the digital sector to give the public the opportunity to learn from digital professionals working throughout the city.
Members of the public are invited on to the University campus for over a dozen Leeds Digital Festival events from 16 27 April, which explore the use of digital technology in education, research, health and enterprise. Events run by the University are just some of the many sessions taking part throughout the city.
Highlights on campus
- Immersive Technologies (AR / VR) at University of Leeds on 18 April. Get a taste of the variety of research which uses immersive technology across the University, with talks and demonstrations from projects looking at hand-eye coordination, driving and pedestrian simulation, and using VR to train medical students in surgery.
- University of Leeds Fair: Tackling the Digital Skills Gap on 23 April. This fair in Parkinson Court will look at how the digital skills gap can be tackled, and showcase a range of potential solutions such as creating online learning courses for businesses, blended learning degrees, and degree apprenticeships offered in partnership with business.
- #AlgoraveAssembly on 27 April. A live coding masterclass, panel discussion and two concerts at the School of Music, which feature performers from the forefront of the Algorave scene, including OFFAL, The Yorkshire Programming Ensemble (TYPE), NikNak, and multiple breakbeat DJs.
Professor Neil Morris, Director of Digital Learning at the University of Leeds, said: The University is proud to support the Leeds Digital Festival and help celebrate the citys growing reputation as a leader in the digital world.
Across the University, digital technology is constantly being used in new and innovative ways, and the Leeds Digital Festival is a great opportunity for us to show more people what were doing and how we keep pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
The full programme of University of Leeds events at Leeds Digital Festival is outlined below, which includes a range of free and paid events.
Monday 16th April
· Introduction to R LIDA, Worsley Building, 1pm - 4pm
· Medical Device Regulation and Big Data Monday Maurice Keyworth Building, 1:15pm - 4:00pm
· Health Tweet Feast Online, 16th 22nd April
Tuesday 17th April
· Living in Leeds - Big Data Analytics in Health: Personal Data & Public Trust Worsley Building, 10:00am - 12:00pm
· Technology in Medical Education Charles Thackrah Building, 3:00pm - 5:00pm
· Immersive Technology AR/VR at the University of Leeds Charles Thackrah Building, 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Thursday 19th April
· Building Simple Smartphone Apps Without Coding Worsley Building, 9:00am - 12:30pm
Saturday 21st April
· Feel/Hear/See/Do: A Digital Odyssey Interactive walk around Leeds, various times between 21st 27th April
Monday 23rd April
· Building Simple Smartphone Apps Without Coding 2 Worsley Building, 9:00am - 12:30pm
· Digital Education: Free Online Learning Opportunities for Students Transitioning to University Parkinson Building, 2:00pm - 3:00pm
·The Impact of Digital on the Future of the University Parkinson Building, 3:30pm - 5:00pm
· University of Leeds Fair: Tackling the Digital Skills Gap Parkinson Court, 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Wednesday 25th April
· Leeds International Piano Competition X Global Digital Week Leeds University Union, 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Thursday 26th April
· R For Transport Applications 9:30am - 4:30pm
· Online Webinar Capabilities in Consumer Analytics Online, 1:00pm - 2:00pm
Friday 27th April
· #AlgoraveAssembly: Lunchtime Concert & Daytime Sessions School of Music, 1:00pm - 5:00pm
· #AlgoraveAssembly - Foyer Venue Algorave School of Music, 6:30pm - 11:00pm
Browse more events at the Leeds Digital Festival on their website: https://leedsdigitalfestival.org/