University celebrates J.R.R.Tolkien
A blue plaque to honour the life of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings creator J.R.R. Tolkien has been unveiled today at the writer’s former home in Leeds.
Tolkien established his academic career at the University of Leeds, joining as a Reader in 1920 aged 28 before being promoted to Professor within a few years. By the time he left in 1925 he had established the School as a UK leader in Old Icelandic language and literature.
The plaque is located at Tolkiens former home at 2 Darnley Road, West Park and has been sponsored by the University, Leeds Civic Trust and the Tolkien Society.
Dr Kersten Hall from the Universitys School of Philosophy, Religion and the History of Science unveiled the plaque at 11.30am on behalf of the City of Leeds.
He said: "According to the BBC's 'Big Read' poll, J.R.R Tolkien's book The Lord of the Rings
is officially the nation's favourite book. To be asked to unveil a plaque commemorating a writer whose work has meant so much to the nation is therefore a great honour and a privilege. The City of Leeds deserves to be proud that its local heritage is connected to a literary figure who is cherished not just here in the UK, but also across the world."
The text of the plaque reads:
J.R.R. TOLKIEN CBE
Academic and author lived here between 1924 and 1925. While Reader, later Professor, at the University of Leeds 1920-1925, he collaborated on a new edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
. Tolkien went on to write The Hobbit
and The Lord of the Rings
1892-1973For more information:
Esther Harward, University of Leeds press office, phone +113 343 4196 or email email@example.com