Scientific research involving animals is regulated and administered by the following, who have particular responsibilities under ASPA.
- The Animal Welfare and Ethical Review Committee, which amongst other things has a responsibility to promote the 3Rs and the welfare of animals generally, and to evaluate and review proposals to carry out work involving animals.
- The Establishment Licence (PEL) Holder, who is responsible for ensuring that the requirements of ASPA and conditions of the licence are complied with.
- The Named Veterinary Surgeon (NVS), who is responsible for advising on the health, welfare and treatment of the animals (and who must be a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons with expertise in laboratory animal medicine for the species being used in the establishment).
- Several Named Animal Care and Welfare Officers (NACWOs), each of whom is responsible for overseeing day-to-day welfare and care of animals.
- The Named Training and Competence Officer (NTCO), who is responsible for ensuring that those dealing with animals are adequately educated, trained and supervised until they are competent and that appropriate further training continues.
- The Named Information Officer (NIO), who is responsible for ensuring that those dealing with animals have access to any information they need about the species they are using.