Applications for Leeds International Summer School (LISS) 2023 are now open. Find out about our eligibility requirements and how to apply online.
To be eligible to apply for LISS, you must be enrolled at a university, or be a recent graduate.
You must be in good academic standing at your home university, with a minimum grade average of 50 (UK system), GPA of 2.5 (US system), GPA of 5.0 (Australian system) or equivalent. You must also meet our English language requirements.
English language requirements
If the country you study in isn't on the Student visa exceptions list, you'll need to submit evidence that you meet our English language requirements with your LISS application.
The English language qualifications and minimum scores we accept include:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT): 72 (72 overall, listening: 17, reading: 18, writing: 19, speaking: 20)
- Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC): listening: 400, reading: 385, speaking: 160, writing: 150 (all four components are required)
- Password Skills: 5.5 (5.5 overall with no component lower than 5.0)
- LanguageCert International ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) B2 Communicator or LanguageCert International ESOL SELT (Secure English Language Test) B2 Communicator: 33 in speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Duolingo English Test: 90
If you need to prove that you meet our English language entry requirements but haven’t taken one of these qualifications, please see the accepted English Language qualifications for your country or region on our Admissions qualifications page or email the LISS team for advice at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're being taught in English at your home university, you don't need to provide a language certificate. Instead, we'll ask you to provide evidence that you are taught in English. This could be a link to your home university's website or a letter from your home university confirming the language of teaching for your degree programme.
Please note, we don't accept College English Tests CET-4 or CET-6.
English language courses
If you don’t meet our English language requirements, you may be eligible to study the undergraduate pre-sessional English course taught by the Language Centre. This course will help to prepare you with the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully study with us and improve your academic English language skills.
If you apply for the pre-sessional course, please tell us on your LISS application form.
How to apply
To apply for LISS 2023, please complete our online application form before the the application deadline.
- Early application deadline: 1 April 2023
- Final application deadline: 1 May 2023
Completing the application form
Please read the instructions on the first page of the application form carefully. You can’t save your application and complete it later so please make sure you have the following information ready before you begin:
- Personal details, including your contact information
- Academic details, including your home university and current academic standing, e.g. GPA
- First- and second-choice modules for your chosen block(s)
You should also have the following supporting documents ready to upload as part of the online application:
- Supporting statement (500–1,000 word brief essay outlining your reasons for applying to LISS)
- Official academic transcript from your home university (in English)
- Copy of your English language certificate or proof that you are taught in English at your home university (if required – please see the minimum English language requirements section of this page for more information)
- Merit scholarship application (optional – please follow the instructions on the first page of the application form)
The University of Leeds Taught Admissions Policy outlines the admissions principles of the University of Leeds. Any variations to this policy for Leeds International Summer School are clarified on this page.
After you apply
Once you have submitted your application, the LISS team will review it within three weeks and contact you via email to inform you of the outcome of your application.
If you have any questions about the application form or the supporting documents, please email your query to email@example.com.
Once you have an offer of a place on LISS, you can use your acceptance letter to apply for your visa.
You should always check the immigration requirements for your country and your passport before departing for the UK.